Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I now must move my mouse cursor before I can enter my password at the lock screen

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I now must move my mouse cursor before I can enter my password at the lock screen

I can only assume a recent update changed this.

As of the past week or two, at the login/lock screen, the keyboard is apparently disabled until I move the mouse (trackpoint or touchpad on a Thinkpad). Hitting ESC, Enter, space - nothing happens. As soon as I move the mouse a touch, the password prompt appears and then I can enter the password.

Is this deliberate?

I've also noticed something changed in the past couple weeks with the middle mouse scroll function being problematic during web browsing. Not sure if they're related, but recent updates have definitely worsened my Kubuntu experience.

Originally posted by djphilosophy View Post
    I can only assume a recent update changed this.

As of the past week or two, at the login/lock screen, the keyboard is apparently disabled until I move the mouse (trackpoint or touchpad on a Thinkpad). Hitting ESC, Enter, space - nothing happens. As soon as I move the mouse a touch, the password prompt appears and then I can enter the password.

Is this deliberate?
    Me too. I think it's the Plasma version update what did it
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

For me the same after the last update of Plasma. No big deal, but I didn't know it, so it took me quite a long time before I accidentally moved the mouse and eureka: I could log in.
      Before that I tried the konsole with all kind of commands etc. Should be nice if they announced this kind of changes in some way, grrr.

Comment

Is there a bug being tracked somewhere for this? Seems like a serious issue to make it into an LTS release.

Comment

Can't reproduce this myself. I have a Bluetooth kb that needs to wake up after an idle time, so I am used to doing this using my PCs, but switching to a USB wired KB, I still can't get this to happen at my 20.04 desktop. My laptop doesn't see this either, but I am running Neon, which is 20.04 based but obviously have a newer Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by logidelic View Post
            Seems like a serious issue to make it into an LTS release.
            LTS releases aren't necessarily more stable initially than non-LTS releases. Some real clunkers have come out in the past, with buggy software landing just before the cut-off date. LTS releases become more stable with time.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Yeah. I've noticed this 'bug' as well. After some update about a month or two ago. Really annoying me.
              I used to just hit [ALT] then type in password, or just type in password.
              Now the two handed human needs a MS implant of a third hand for the mouse.

Comment

Working...
              X