Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't access this. It appears to be your account specifically, as clicking on it says:
    You need access
    Request access, or switch to an account with access.​
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in replying. Try now, it should work

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MG6...w?usp=drivesdk

I've since just done a fresh install with the latest version, but I'm keen to work out why this happened again, and what to do to prevent it....?

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by CanyonRoss View Post
        Edit - I believe it's my root partition, which is 40gb, so God knows how it's become full.
        That you did a reinstall, we will never know now how full it was, but that could have been the cause of your issue. How it (the root partition) got so full could be one (or both) of two things: Not cleaning/deleting download packages, or not removing old kernels and associated kernel cruft.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          That you did a reinstall, we will never know now how full it was, but that could have been the cause of your issue. How it (the root partition) got so full could be one (or both) of two things: Not cleaning/deleting download packages, or not removing old kernels and associated kernel cruft.
          How do you delete old kernels? I believe this may actually be an issue, because if I went into grub - advanced options for kubuntu.... it listed a huge amount of kernel options.

Aside from regularly using sudo apt-get autoclean is there another way to ensure this doesn't happen? What apps/programmes frequently take up uneccessary space?

Many thanks!

Comment

Downloaded .deb packages and installed kernels make of the bulk of "extra" used space in the root partition. You want to perform system 'cleanup' on a regular basis. Doing so from the CLI (command line / terminal / konsole) isn't hard, and is the best way IMO. See https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu...mand-examples/

Comment

What apps/programmes frequently take up uneccessary space?
              Unnecessary space is hard to say. Only you can say what that is. ALL your application software, system libraries, et al, go into your root file system. If you install TONS of software, it can easily add up. But most likely you need to give yourself enough space. If you only have 40Gb or so, you will fill things up, no different than Windows, though at a bit smaller scale. If you install a butt-ton of software, especially Flatpaks and Snaps, these can fill up that small space a bit quicker, as these tend to take up more drive space, at least initially.
              So, you probably will wan to occasionally go in an uninstall things you don't use any longer.

You can use Muon Package Manager for GUI cleanup duties, it has a menu option to remove unused/unnecessary packages, among other things

In it's settings, you can tell it to delete outdated stuff from the downloaded package cache every x number of days, but you may need to do this manually more often, and more completely than just older stuff.

Comment

Many thanks for the help guys. I gather Snaps takes up some room, what's the best way around that?

Sorry for the late replies, for some reason I'm not getting email alerts, despite being subscribed to the thread.

Cheers!

Comment

I'm not getting email alerts, despite being subscribed to the thread.
                  Check your email server spam settings. Automated emails from KFN aren’t liked by some email servers.

Comment

It's weird, I haven't changed any email or forum settings, and emails used to come through. I've just checked my user settings and it was set to no emails.....bizarre.

So is it worth disabling something to keep space to a minimum? My root partition is only 40GB, with 23GB free, and due to my partition table, resizing is a real faff (it all got a bit messed up!). I remember an old version used to save backups of the system as images or something which took up space?

Cheers.
                    Last edited by CanyonRoss; Dec 07, 2022, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      In the konsole type: sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoclean
                      Running "autoclean" after "clean" is redundant, as "clean" has already removed all cached packages and "autoclean" has nothing to do.

clean
                      clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. It removes everything but the lock file from /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
                      /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/.

autoclean (and the auto-clean alias since 1.1)
                      Like clean, autoclean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files. The difference is that it only removes package files that can no longer be downloaded,
                      and are largely useless. This allows a cache to be maintained over a long period without it growing out of control. The configuration option APT::Clean-Installed will
                      prevent installed packages from being erased if it is set to off.
                      So you generally want to run one or the other (depending on what you want to do), running both has just the same effect as "clean" alone.
                      Last edited by kubicle; Dec 07, 2022, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I'll just try using that, but I was doing that every 6 weeks or so and still the problem arose again......?

Many thanks once again.

Comment

Working...
                        X