Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] 3rd party drivers not loading after install, with secureboot enabled

I'm writing this from a live USB session.
    During a live USB session, all my 3rd party devices (wifi, bluetooth, etc) are detected, and working normally, so I installed kubuntu and enabled installing of 3rd party drivers

After installing, I was prompted to "Enroll MOK" which I did, entering the password I chose during install.

On reboot, no 3rd party drivers load. Network shows only ethernet. attempting to enroll new keys claims no DKMS drivers are installed. Kernel is the 5.13 series, and the 5.4 kernels refuse to boot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately for now a lot of third party drivers will not work with Secureboot enabled and the only way out I know of is to disable secure boot which is basically an MS invention anyway.
    Problem lies in the fact that most linux drivers do not come with the secureboot signatures that are need for them to work in that environment.
    From MSN Docs
    Secure boot is a security standard developed by members of the PC industry to help make sure that a device boots using only software that is trusted by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). When the PC starts, the firmware checks the signature of each piece of boot software, including UEFI firmware drivers (also known as Option ROMs), EFI applications, and the operating system. If the signatures are valid, the PC boots, and the firmware gives control to the operating system.

The OEM can use instructions from the firmware manufacturer to create Secure boot keys and to store them in the PC firmware. When you add UEFI drivers, you'll also need to make sure these are signed and included in the Secure Boot database.
    Last edited by kc1di; Feb 04, 2022, 06:44 AM.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Your answer is only partly correct...

If I install kubuntu without connecting to the internet, it installs kernel 5.4.0-28-generic. With that kernel, everything works as expected (proving that my 3rd party drivers work with this kernel), until i do sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade, which installs 5.4.0-97-generic. Once I do that, i get what would be a black screen with a cursor, if I weren't getting dmesg errors about the USB port that doesn't work. It sat on that for hours, and didn't boot.

When I use advanced options, and try to boot from 5.4.0-28-generic again, it tells me that the signature for that kernel is invalid, then says i need to load the kernel first, before going back to the kernel list.

I am trying to dual boot with windows 11, which requires secure boot to be enabled. fast boot, and hibernation are disabled. I need secure boot to work for this reason. starting to sound like I'm just out of luck.

Comment

Not that it is specifically associated with your stated issue, but, using sudo apt upgrade exclusively can, over time, potentially make your system unstable. You should be using sudo apt full-upgrade

man apt
        upgrade (apt-get(8))

upgrade is used to install available upgrades of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources configured via sources.list(5). New packages will be installed if required to statisfy dependencies, but existing packages will never be removed. If an upgrade for a package requires the remove of an installed package the upgrade for this package isn't performed.

full-upgrade (apt-get(8)) full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed packages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncollege24 View Post
          If I install kubuntu without connecting to the internet, it installs kernel 5.4.0-28-generic.
          This might, or might not, be useful, but 20.04 LTS has since moved to the 5.13 kernel, on the newer ISO images, or rather 5.11 that upgrades to 5.13
          The current 20.04.3 iso image will have the 5.11 kernel built in, so if your ISO is the original 20.04.0 or iirc 20.04.1, it might be worth trying the current iso in a live session, to test out if the newer kernel works better in this regard.
          (20.04.4 will be out at the end of this month, and will have the 5.13 kernel, as well as other updates since the last ISO image was put out)

Comment

Snowhog i usually use sudo apt autoremove for that, but didn't want to remove the original kernel.

claydoh The advice to get the newest ISO was a partial success. The live environment worked as expected, so I installed without connecting to wifi.

On reboot, I have wifi, and bluetooth, but nvidia drivers for the 5.11 kernel are not working (they are installed along side the 5.13 drivers).

sudo apt upgrade installs the newest kernel, and the nvidia 470 5.13 drivers, but reboot results in the black screen with cursor again. I can still boot into the 5.11 kernel.

Edit: Purging all nvidia drivers allowed me into the 5.13 kernel, with everything working. From there, I installed the nvidia 470 drivers, for the 5.13 kernel. Seems to be working as expected now.
            Last edited by jasoncollege24; Feb 04, 2022, 12:22 PM.

Comment

sudo apt upgrade
              Really, you need to be using apt full-upgrade on *buntu based systems to make sure you don't miss updates, or get partial ones.

Comment

Edit: Purging all nvidia drivers allowed me into the 5.13 kernel, with everything working. From there, I installed the nvidia 470 drivers, for the 5.13 kernel. Seems to be working as expected now.
                Are you saying that your 'issue' is now resolved? This thread can be marked as [SOLVED]?

Comment

Yes. My issue seems to be resolved. Thanks for the help!

Comment

jasoncollege24 So you know, you, as the OP (original poster), you can mark threads you start as [SOLVED] by editing the first post, which allows you to select from the drop down selection list to the left of the thread title, [SOLVED]. I'll let you do that.

Comment

Glad you found some success
                      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                      X