This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading from 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS made my printer stop working

Printer is Brother MFC-J497DW. I always get a printer not responding error. When I remove and reinstall it, everything autodetects just fine, but then settings says there is no printer installed. I tried the 4 possible drivers offered. It defaults to the driverless one. There are two identically titled CUPS drivers and an "everywhere" driver. Installing any of these three will show the printer installed, but it can never be printed to and gives the same printer not responding message. If I access the CUPS manager through the browser, it says it fails to load the driverless version. Since that's the default recommended by the printer install wizard I suspect this is the problem.

Well, I gave up for the night and came back today. Gave it one more reboot (honest, I tried that already!), and it properly identified the printer as a USB printer and gave the 2 Brother CUPS drivers as the preferred driver instead of the driverless version that constantly came up yesterday. Just did a test print and all is well now.

Comment

Gotta love 'self healing' systems!
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Reboots and restarts can often fix many things. I've seen the same thing as OP on a HP printer attached to the PC 18.04 & 20.04. This morning, my Samsung tablet was totally unresponsive to touch ... a re-start fixed it in seconds! For hardware: Check the cables and connections! For software: Try re-boot/re-start! As Snowhog put it, self-healing solutions.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X