Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before going nuclear, look in the GUI packages managers, Synaptic (or Muon), to see what kernels the package manager sees as installed kernels.

You can also look in one of the GUI package managers and make sure your Sources and Update settings are not funky. I like Muon better for this part.

You probably could do a radical purge, but you might want to consider backing up your data from /home, and anywhere else you have important stuff, before doing that. You may actually end up doing s re-install to keep your system consistent.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220103_191554.png
Views:	157
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	659413Might it also have something to do with the fact that my machine is a dual-boot? Does not seem logical though...

Last edited by Gromm; Jan 03, 2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

PS: found this forum entry at AskUbuntu. This is about a similar problem although I did not change my videocard and I do not have an old one either.
        https://askubuntu.com/questions/1306...ernel-5-8-0-36

Comment

Shouldn't have anything to do with dual boot, unless your ESP entries are messed up.

What are you dual booting with? And how long have you had your Kubuntu?
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
            Shouldn't have anything to do with dual boot, unless your ESP entries are messed up.

What are you dual booting with? And how long have you had your Kubuntu?
            It is a dualboot with Win10 (soon to be 11) and Kubuntu was installed pretty soon after this pc arrived here. March/April 2021.

In the link I posted earlier https://askubuntu.com/questions/1306...ernel-5-8-0-36 a problem related to a videocard (Nvidia) was mentioned. That was about an old one. Mine is one of the latest but still possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Gromm View Post

It is a dualboot with Win10 (soon to be 11) and Kubuntu was installed pretty soon after this pc arrived here. March/April 2021.

In the link I posted earlier https://askubuntu.com/questions/1306...ernel-5-8-0-36 a problem related to a videocard (Nvidia) was mentioned. That was about an old one. Mine is one of the latest but still possible?
              Good news here good people!

I gave the link as posted above here some thought. I looked into the driver management. I seem to have used the NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia driver 460 (proprietary). I switched to the 470 (proprietary, tested) version (lucky semi-educated guess). Since then the system was able to boot in kernel 43..... Now for academic motives: what is the explanation?

Anyway: thank you for the support. I might have discovered the cause of the problem myself.....with A LOT of luck but I have learned a good lesson in terminal usage along the way.

Comment

Oops, I dis not see your last post.
                B.t.w. I prefer using muon as package manager and find it very transparent when for example removing single kernels.
                Last edited by Teunis; Jan 14, 2022, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Teunis What is it exactly you wanted to tell? I saw a lot of messages from you in my notifications but in the end here in the the thread I only read one. Perhaps it is useful information.

Ps: Laten we hier maar gewoon Engels praten want die aardappeltaal van ons verstaan er niet veel
                  Translation: Let's just speak English here. That potatoe-language of ours is not understood by many.

Comment

Working...
                  X