This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update, at long last

UPDATE: Please be sure to read later in this thread, specifically starting with post #11 from December 28.
    ==============================

I've been silent on purpose, as I didn't want to bore everyone with my apparently never-ending tales of woe regarding my System76 Gazelle laptop. I decided to wait until it was well and truly resolved before posting an update. And here I am!

The saga's ending started on December 14, when my SECOND replacement arrived. Thanks to my contact at S76, it came pre-installed with K 20.04LTS! He had configured it to my specifications, following my preferred partitioning scheme. It has run FLAWLESSLY 24/7 since then!

I plunged in, installing and customizing to my heart's content, throwing caution to the wind, and not bothering with the carefully-thought-out plan of logging each new change, making sure there were no problems, then making another change, etc. I refused to believe this laptop could be plagued with issues like the original, which was clearly a lemon, so I didn't bother with caution.

I still have a little customizing to do, but for the most part it's set up and looks/feels the way I like it. This is a newer version of the same laptop, i.e., it has later-generation hardware in some instances--because it took so long to get this resolved, newer hardware had come along!

I didn't actually use a tape measure, but I took pictures of the old version sitting on the new version, and the new one is almost an inch longer--on the outside. Its stated display size is still 17.3", so I don't think the larger size affects that, but it's definitely wider and longer than the old one. It feels great, and--unlike the original--this one's keyboard lights are on all the time! I never even realized they were supposed to be! On the original, the only time I saw keyboard lights was during booting, when it would cycle through various colors; once booted, the keys were not lit. This is nice!

So there you go. It took a year to get here, but I'm *thrilled* with my new, 'new laptop,' and I cannot say enough about S76. They were absolutely amazing. They treated me like a family member, with various people personally calling me, and following through on everything they promised. I want to point out that due to my own procrastination, this dragged out a lot longer than it really should have. (Yes, I get to use the "I'm ill" excuse, but still.) They could have resolved this other ways, like with a refurbished replacement, but very clear communication on both parts yielded the result I wanted, a fresh, clean, brand-new laptop. I'm *so* happy with it!
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Dec 30, 2021, 03:26 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Whewww, great news, DoYouKubuntu! Way to go, you persisted, you are relentless (a girlfriend once said that about me, what do you suppose she meant by "relentless"? ) Well, congratulations. It is fun to work with something that actually works. Have fun, enjoy it, it was quite a learning experience, a journey, to say the least. 👍👍👍
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks, Qq! At times it seemed like it would never end, but I do believe we're good now. Everything about this laptop is amazing--definitely worth the wait!

As for "relentless"....in real life, voice inflections and facial expressions can affect its meaning, so I'm not sure what your ex-girlfriend might have meant! But I'll bet it was good.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

But I'll bet it was good.
        🤣🤣 I think you nailed it! But I don't want to elaborate and be censored here by Snowhog! Glad you got things back on the road wrt computing! take care
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

And why would you think I'd censor you? Hmm?? This is Kubuntu Forums, not Ubuntu Forums (from which I was permanently banned due to a 'low point' in my life badly influencing a post there).

@DoYouKnow I'm so happy to hear that your saga ended on a positive note! Perseverance pays off, if one is just willing to persevere!
          Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 22, 2021, 03:20 PM.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            And why would you think I'd censor you? Hmm?? This is Kubuntu Forums, not Ubuntu Forums (from which I was permanently banned due to a 'low point' in my life badly influencing a post there).
            Oh no!! I can't imagine you saying something that would warrant a permanent ban. Oh well, it's their loss! (I can't even remember the last time I went there.)

@DoYouKnow I'm so happy to hear that your saga ended on a positive note! Perseverance pays off, if one is just willing to persevere!
            Thanks! Positive note indeed. I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome. Now, after all that, I have a brand-spanking-new Gazelle that works great and I'm thrilled to have. What a relief to be able to come here and NOT have any problems to post about!

Comment

DoYouKubuntu I've often thought about why we (KFN) have so few 'active' members; members who post. Ubuntu Forums has WAY more members, and WAY more daily posts. I can only surmise that it's because Kubuntu Linux has WAY FEWER issues. Just my thinking.

Comment

DoYouKubuntu I've often thought about why we (KFN) have so few 'active' members; members who post. Ubuntu Forums has WAY more members, and WAY more daily posts. I can only surmise that it's because Kubuntu Linux has WAY FEWER issues. Just my thinking.
                Indeed! Either that or...Kubuntu attracts smarter users!

Comment

• Snowhog
                  Snowhog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  'Smarter users!' Yeah, I can agree with that!

• Qqmike
                  Qqmike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We are relentless at Kubuntu!

I agree with you Snowhog!, Kubuntu has far fewer issues so not as many users come her. (IF it ain't broke don't fix it).

"Relentless" -- refusing to accept no or can't for an answer! Way to go, DYK
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  I agree with you Snowhog!, Kubuntu has far fewer issues so not as many users come her. (IF it ain't broke don't fix it).
                  Exactly.

"Relentless" -- refusing to accept no or can't for an answer! Way to go, DYK
                  Thanks, GG!!

At times along the way, I easily could've thrown in the towel, gotten a refund, bought a different brand, and moved on. But *this* was the laptop I wanted, the brand I wanted, the company I wanted, and I'm glad I stuck with it.

You guys would not believe the twists and turns we had along the way! Including--but not limited to--having to provide Ring doorbell video to *prove* that UPS had picked up my laptop. If not for that, it would've been "he said, she said" and I'd have no way to prove it.

It was an interesting, if bumpy and long, ride!!

Comment

Just out of curiosity....has anyone ever had a laptop just shut off...and then not be able to turn it back on?

Yes, believe it or not, late yesterday afternoon I was sitting here happy as can be, using my beautiful Gazelle, doing nothing out of the ordinary when, POOF! It went black. I don't mean shut down, I mean went BLACK just like that. My few remaining gray cells started racing: "Did I unplug it AND miss the warning alert that the battery was nearly gone?" "Did the power strip get turned off AND I missed the warning that the battery had run down?" "Did....whatever...."

And the answer to all of the above was: no. Plugged in, full battery, has power, its panel indicator lights are on, as are the lights on the wireless USB Trackman trackball and the USB external hard drive enclosure.

I immediately ran my hands over the entire laptop, front and back, to check for heat, but it wasn't hot at all (no more than you'd expect after 8 hours of mild use).

I did various troubleshooting steps: removed the battery, unplugged the power cord, long-pressed the power button, etc., but nothing revived it. I thought I'd let it sit overnight and see if morning brought better news. It didn't.

So I called my contact at S76 and broke the bad news. Neither one of us can believe this is happening. After telling him what I'd already tried, the only additional test he had was to remove the battery and unplug the computer, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, hoping to discharge any random power that may be left in its capacitors. Nope.

I'm typing this on the loaner--which I had carefully packed up last week to ship back to them, but through YET ANOTHER bizarre quirk in this long saga, the UPS guy who came didn't have the label....like he was supposed to. Having already lost one laptop to them--and thank goodness for Ring video, which PROVED they picked it up!!--I refused to let him take this one without a label. I've been waiting for a new label to arrive (my printer isn't working, so I can't print it myself) from S76--good thing the holidays delayed it! Otherwise, I wouldn't have the loaner any more.

Thoughts on any of this? In 35+ years I've never had a computer just switch off and not be able to be turned back on later. I've had computers overheat and shut off as a result, but once they cooled off it was back to business. (That was eons ago.) Keep in mind that its indicator lights are on, as are its USB peripherals' lights.

Comment

It is possible that the backlight for the screen has failed, or the connection to it has. If you have it powered on and are in a dark room, can you see a faint glow from the screen? If you have an external monitor and cable, can you plug it in and see if it works when the laptop is powered on?

Comment

I *cannot* power it on, Snowhog. At all.

Comment

But you said
                          And the answer to all of the above was: no. Plugged in, full battery, has power, its panel indicator lights are on, as are the lights on the wireless USB Trackman trackball and the USB external hard drive enclosure.

Comment

But you said
                            Yes, I did. But the first thing I said in the OP included: "has anyone ever had a laptop just shut off...and then not be able to turn it back on?"

The laptop DOES have power--as I described: "its panel indicator lights [edit: the lights that indicate the battery's state, whether the power cord is plugged in or unplugged] are on, as are the lights on the wireless USB Trackman trackball and the USB external hard drive enclosure"

So the laptop is acting like a power source, providing power to its panel lights, and its peripherals; but the laptop ITSELF is as dead as a door....knob? nail? whatever! Its keyboard, display, and power button light are all dead.

Comment

Working...
                            X