X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen after Grub

Hello!

I'm pretty new into Kubuntu. Actually it runs fine in dualboot alongside windows 10 (2 separate drives).
    Today i started my PC, Grub came up and i selected (K)Ubuntu, but the only thing i get is a black screen

When i boot into "advanced" options and load 5.11.0-37 generic it runs just fine.
    When i try to load 5.11.0-38 i'm stuck at loading initial ramdisk

PC:
    Ryzen 5 3600
    MSI B450M PRO VDH-Max
    2x8 GB DDR4 RAM 3200
    GeForce GTX 1080

As for GPU driver i installed one via command line following a tutorial (can't remember the name), should be version 470 if i remember

What do you need to guide me through this to solve this booting issue?

Thanks in advance

Are you running Kubuntu 21.04 Hirsute Hippo? What game(s) are you playing?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No it is 20.04
      Small update: when trying to boot normally, after about 2 minutes at the black screen the Kubuntu logo appears but it is stuck there (OS is installed on an NVME SSD, not an old HDD....)

Actively I play League of Legends via Lutris. There are some Steam games installed (CS:GO, Among Us and Dota2) but never started them as for now

Comment

If you have Grub setup to display it's menu at boot, go to Advanced Options and select the previous kernel. Does that change things?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As written above this works (5.11.0-37). I already Googled (german since it is my main language) on how to delete a kernel but it shows only old guides and how to remove old kernels
          Last edited by maxik; Oct 20, 2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

my last kernel upgrade installed this ,,,,,,

from /var/log/apt/history.log
            Code:
            Install: linux-image-5.4.0-89-generic:amd64 (5.4.0-89.100, automatic), linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-89-generic:amd64 (5.4.0-89.100, automatic), linux-headers-5.4.0-89-generic:amd64 (5.4.0-89.100, automatic), linux-modules-5.4.0-89-generic:amd64 (5.4.0-89.100, automatic), linux-headers-5.4.0-89:amd64 (5.4.0-89.100, automatic),
            So you would remove all that but with the version # of yours.

using just this part of the name of the package "linux-image-5.4.0-89-generic" not "linux-image-5.4.0-89-generic:amd64 (5.4.0-89.100, automatic)" and so on and so forth for the modules and headers.

all in one remove command .

VINNY

EDDIT: Maybe the install of the 5.11.0-38 kernel did not take ,,,,likely your first set of updates after removing this kernel will be this kernel

O and where did you get your Nvidia driver ,,,,, the (K)ubuntu repo or some where else.
            Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 20, 2021, 04:10 PM.
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Talking from recent experience, did you check there is still space on your root partition?
              Removing excess kernels is easy, open a terminal (the konsole) and do a
              Code:
              sodu apt autoremove
              Another one to make space is
              Code:
              sudo apt clean
              This will remove old .deb siles from the cache.

Comment

Working...
              X