Windows VM Intermittent Network Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows VM Intermittent Network Connection

This may be more of a VMware question than a Kubuntu question, but I think a lot of us use VMware, so someone may have an idea.
    I'm running VMware Workstation 16 Pro, version 16.0.0 build-16894299, with a Windows 10 Pro VM. In Workstation, my network adapter is set to NAT, and I have checked both "Connected" and "Connect at power on." My VM has 32G of RAM.

The problem: The internet connection for my VM is noticeably intermittent. Every few seconds it changes from connected to no internet connection and back again. My Linux host internet connection is constant--no problems there. I noticed this upon returning from my daughter's wedding in Minnesota, though I'm skeptical that the wedding (or Minnesota) has anything to do with it.

What I have tried:
    I swapped out the Ethernet cable connecting my box to the router, and I have tried connecting the cable to a different port on the router.
    I have not made any software or hardware changes.
    I have rebooted the router.
    I have rebooted (and rebooted and rebooted) the Windows VM.
    I have rebooted the Kubuntu host. I have tried both NAT and Bridged connections; the same problem is on both.
    I have reinstalled Vmware Tools.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter on the VM.
    I have engaged in (restrained) cursing.

Other than unrestrained cursing, I don't know what to try next. Thanks.

Is there any setting to change the 'fake' networking device to a different one? I know tjhis can be done in Virtualbox and Virt-Manager.
    it is the only thing I can think of, I haven't used VM ware in at least a decade, probably much longer.

Comment

Why not use Oracle VirtualBox instead? Any reason you have to use VMware Workstation?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X