This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] SMB Samba Shares root access only

Hi I have two PC's, main 20.04, second 19.04. All files are basically going from 20.04 to 19.04 History. After upgrade to 20.04 on one PC, I've had problems getting shares to actually work. A few weeks ago, I managed to get all to work. Now I have two new HDD's in the 19.04 box, and yes, I've added them to the smb.conf file, and they have the same permissions as the existing shares.(which work) If I copy files into a folder, the files are locked to root, samba only If I create a new folder, it is locked to root, samba only. I am frequently running chown on both HDD"s. What have I done wrong? What info do I need to post? Thanks

If it's not already installed, grab gadmin-samba (from Synaptic or your preferred package manager), and use it. Its choices can look overwhelming at first glance, but you should be able to simply step through its pages/options/settings and see if anything jumps out as incorrect.

From what you're describing, it certainly sounds like a permissions issue; you should be able to locate, and rectify, that by using gadmin-samba.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      If it's not already installed, grab gadmin-samba (from Synaptic or your preferred package manager),.
      Holy Moo. I already had this install on one computer. Problem. WTF is this login screen stuff ? Never seen it before until after I ran gadmin-samba? https://ibb.co/t3vF28L

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
        Holy Moo. I already had this install on one computer. Problem. WTF is this login screen stuff ? Never seen it before until after I ran gadmin-samba? https://ibb.co/t3vF28L
        I've never actually seen that, but it's because you set up a SAMBA guest account at some point [while using gadmin-samba]. You should be able to delete that user within gadmin-samba; just go to its 'users' tab and delete the guest account.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
        X