X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROUTER] Kubuntu refusing to keep long-term connection on Router

Hello,

I have been having some trouble with router connections. I run the the kubuntu's internet connection through Google nest normally. I would work fine for about an hour and then it just fails on me and loses the connection to the nest. I have connected to my phone via hotspot and works just fine but it's not ideal. I assume something isn't liking the router in this case. Using 20.04.2

Thanks in advance.

Need at least two pieces of information: make and model of your mobo wifi chip and 2) ditto for your router.
    The output of "sudo lshw" and "sudo lspci" would help.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So the WiFi chip is a usb dongle from Belkin called n300 wireless adapter with the model no:F9L1002v1.
      Google nest, the router, model number is H2D.

I hopefully got the information right. I don't know where to look from konsole commands so I grabbed what was on the dongle and router themselves.

Comment

The driver you need for your N300 is
        Realtek RTL8192CU
        USB: 050d:2103
        Driver: rtl8192cu

The command "modinfo rtl8192cu" shows that it is the driver for your version of the Belkin N300:
        alias: usb:v050Dp2103d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in*

IF it is installed at boot the command
        " lsmod | grep rtl" will show:
        Code:
        rtl8192cu              73728  0
        rtl_usb                20480  1 rtl8192cu
        rtl8192c_common        53248  1 rtl8192cu
        rtlwifi                86016  3 rtl8192c_common,rtl_usb,rtl8192cu
        mac80211              851968  6 rtl_usb,rtl8192cu,rt2x00lib,rtlwifi,rt2x00usb,rt2800lib
        cfg80211              712704  3 rt2x00lib,rtlwifi,mac80211
        If not, you can run "modprobe rtl8192cu" to load it, but use lsmod to check first that no other wifi driver is loaded. If they are, use "modprobe -r somedriver" to remove it. There are no parameters worth changing from their default values:
        Code:
        [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]parm:           [B]swenc[/B]:Set to 1 for software crypto (default 0) [/COLOR](bool) 
        parm:           [B]debug_level[/B]:Set debug level (0-5) (default 0) (int) 
        parm:           [B]debug_mask[/B]:Set debug mask (default 0) (ullong)
        [/FONT]
        It's a rather old device. If your Google Nest is set to WPA3 it may not work with the N300. If you turn off WPA3, which drops it back to WPA2, it may not have all the features that you want from it.

The only link I found relating to your device is at: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2439662

but after three pages the results were not satisfactory. It did show you how to run checks and play with lsmod and modprobe.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 09, 2021, 08:06 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The lsmod command isn't doing anything or giving feedback so I guess the driver is not their? Either way, I can't seem to install it as modprobe is giving errors for permission issues with install or remove. However, the remover can't seem is saying it can't find anything by the name of somedriver and when I type the specific driver, to theoretically see if it was already installed, for removal I get the same lack of feedback issue that I did with lsmod.
          Last edited by Ninetale3; Feb 10, 2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Sorry for double post but I got an update. Got the commands working through super user. Turns out the correct driver is already installed.

I also looked into the driver itself. Turns out it has a history of being a problem child so to speak. Not much recent documentation but the driver tends to crop up with problems.

My guess at this point is their is some communication issue with the n300 and the nest with this driver that causes problems after about an hour of constant transmission. I am gonna try to hook it up to the modem itself to see if that works when I get the chance. Otherwise, I guess I will need a new adapter that has a more reliable driver to work with.

Comment

Working...
            X