This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] no ethernet after update

hi, I have been running this system for a long time now. the point is that after last update, suggested by discover applet, ehternet stopped working. After several attempts to fix it, with no resulot, I decided to fresh install 20.04, and I dont know why but the problem persist, no ethernet at all. any sugestion?

I try installing 18.04 form scratch and now no problem at all, but I am concern that when I´m suggested to update the problem will repeat. is it a bug or something?

It is difficult to say, without knowing what ethernet card you have.
    My guess is a kernel update inadvertently 'broke' the driver for your card, especially considering it was working before, and ius working on 18.04.

If you don't know whaty os is, you can use this command to find it:

Code:
    lshw -class network
    Also, a short summary of your computer specs can sometimes be helpful as well.

Comment

I know this doesn't seem to apply, @gralf, but are you sure the Ethernet cable is good? Can you try it in a different device?

It's possible that the cable is faulty, and just coincidentally works under certain conditions, giving the impression that something broke from your recent update. Do what @claydoh said, but also see if you can try plugging the cable in to some other device, just to verify that it's actually good.

Also, do you have a static IP address set for this device?
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
      X