This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Problems networking new laptop

Can someone give me a refresher course on Samba? My new System76 laptop is giving me problems...well, no, *I* am doing something(s) wrong, which creates the problems!

I've installed assorted Samba utilities, including cifs-utils, samba, samba-common, samba-libs, and more.

I finally got to a point where other devices on the network can see and access its hard drive, but WITHOUT logging in--and WITHOUT having write permission. I don't want to allow anonymous/guest samba logins; I always use my username and password for authentication, and always allow myself full r/w access. I'm clearly overlooking something...

Just to clarify, the new laptop has full access (read/write/delete) to other computers on the network, but not the reverse. What have I likely left out?

I copied the old System76 laptop's smb.conf to the new one. I added "<myname> = administrator" to its smbusers file. As root, using Dolphin, I've shared its drive. The rest of the network sees the name I gave it, and can read its files, but I'm not being prompted to log in, and I can't delete files.

I've looked back through my old threads because I remember this happening before, but didn't find anything useful.

ETA: It's not actually solved...but! Instead of sharing the entire drive, as I ALWAYS have, I tried sharing one specific directory. Voila! I can read/write/delete in it from my phone. So it's partially solved. But I want / shared, as always...so with that, I'm still stuck.
    Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Oct 30, 2020, 02:17 PM.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

First, you shouldn't need to use Samba at all if all the PCs are Linux. You said you have no Windows in your home.

Read through this site: https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/ I used it years ago when I wanted to connect my two Linux (Kubuntu) laptops on the network.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      First, you shouldn't need to use Samba at all if all the PCs are Linux. You said you have no Windows in your home.
      It's a holdover from when my Mom's computer had window$ on it...before I wiped it and installed Kubuntu. But by then, all my computers were already networked using Samba, and there was no need to change them. And some of them are still in use!

Read through this site: https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/ I used it years ago when I wanted to connect my two Linux (Kubuntu) laptops on the network.
      Thanks, but I didn't need it. I solved the problem: I used gadmin-samba [a GUI tool I don't normally use] and attempted various things. I found out there that sharing / was not acceptable. Until I forced it via its config file. Done.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
      X