X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot reach higher internet speed...

Hi

I'm having some problems (not very serious) but even though I have an internet connection of 1Gbps, I can't reach more than 300Mbps.

This is the result of this: sudo lshw -C network
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
    vendor: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
    logical name: enp8s0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:21:9b:4f:a9:a0
    size: 1Gbit/s
    capacity: 1Gbit/s
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.137 duplex=full firmware=5754-v3.24 ip=192.168.1.139 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
    resources: irq:35 memory:f7af0000-f7afffff

Is there a way to speed it up?

Thanks

If your ISP is providing Gigabit speeds to you, and you have a Gigabit "modem"/bridge, and your router has Gigabit ports, and you have good ethernet cable from the router to the PC, then you should be getting (on the order of) Gigabit throughput on download. If not, the first thing is to shutdown your router and your modem, and leave them off for 10 - 15 seconds. Then start your modem and when it's completely rebooted (all the lights are on - sometimes a minute or two), then restart your router. When your router has completely rebooted, if you are still not getting Gigabit speeds, then contact your ISP and have them check their circuit to your location. They will say there are no guarantees, but they should be willing to make an effort.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I can get 1GB on another machines connected to the same router, even using the same cable. So this is really a problem with my Linux PC.

Comment

Your driver is tg3, Tigon3 from Broadcom. A modinfo check shows only one settable parameter: tg3_debug, which wouldn't be of much help.

You should consider switching to the bge driver, as offered and described on this page.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank You

Comment

Working...
          X