Apparently I've found a workaround, which is installing and using something called wicd. Been using it for some days now and did not lose connection ever since, which means that the problem is network-manager.
Is there a way to just install network-manager as it is in bionic 18.04?
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Ralink RT5390 wifi issues on focal 20.04
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
Buying additional hardware to correct a software bug in an operating system is not something I would consider, and specially not external hardware for a laptop which aims for portability.
Tell me something, since I did not have this issue in Bionic 18.04, would it be possible to just install Bionic's wifi driver (rt2800pci is it)?
If so, how could it be done?
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter in my 2012 Acer Aspire V3-771G laptop.
It gave me an identical experience, apparently disconnecting but actually dropping the rx speed to a few hundred Kb which, for all practical purposes, is like having no connection at all in our GUI Internet. It uses the ath9k driver, which modinfo had revealed has several parms. I experimented with them in various combinations and arrived at a stable connection. Later releases, beginning with 16.04, automatically configured my wifi chip and it has worked perfectly every since, giving me about 85% of its maximum 256Mb/s speed.
Unfortunately, your chip driver has only one param, encryption (0,1).
I have nothing further to offer you. Sorry. Perhaps an inexpensive USB wifi chip might be a solution?
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
It's always the same I've posted in the first post of this thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post439855
I don't know if there are other logs that can be useful, if so please let me know.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Turns out the issue is not solved, even after all that stuff I did the connection still loses ip randomly. It happens mostly while streaming or downloading.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Excellent practice!Originally posted by pemartins View Post...
As I am not exactly a computer genius (far, waaaaaayyyy far), I make use of tools like CherryTree to keep entries/logs of every single solution for every single problem I have found at some point in Linux. Even every app I install and remove is in there for each OS, in case I need to do it again or do a fresh install in a future version. So all I had to do was copy my "wifi fix 20.04" entry and paste it on the thread.....
I used to have a near photographic memory and never depended on written documents. I still think I do, but in reality I don't. That's why bookmarks and DDG have become my memory. Most of the advice I give on this forum I do DDG searches for. But, the problem I have is remembering that I bookmarked a solution.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Passing the info was the least I could do. Specially because I realized that many people are having wifi issues in *Ubuntu 20.04.
I can now say that my wifi is working in perfection but when I first installed 20.04 (fresh install) the wifi literally did not last one minute. Literally.
As I am not exactly a computer genius (far, waaaaaayyyy far), I make use of tools like CherryTree to keep entries/logs of every single solution for every single problem I have found at some point in Linux. Even every app I install and remove is in there for each OS, in case I need to do it again or do a fresh install in a future version. So all I had to do was copy my "wifi fix 20.04" entry and paste it on the thread.
Just a note, I changed google to cloudfare in the info, it makes web pages loading even faster.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Nice report! Thanks for passing that info along. Others will benefit from it. "Paying it forward!"
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
I googled what you said and even considered using google translator
lol but I think I figured it out, it means that for you Cloudfare's 1.1.1.1 is faster than google, right?
Is the way I can find that out for me to just type on konsole ping 8.8.8.8 and ping 1.1.1.1?
If so, here are the results, I kindly ask you to look at them and let me know which one is better:
I'm streaming the UFC event, do not know if it can influence the results.Code:pemartins@pemartins-X55U: ~ $ ping 8.8.8.8 PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=118 time=26.3 ms 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=118 time=25.1 ms 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=118 time=25.9 ms 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=4 ttl=118 time=25.0 ms 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=5 ttl=118 time=25.9 ms 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=6 ttl=118 time=33.7 ms 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=7 ttl=118 time=23.9 ms 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=8 ttl=118 time=24.7 ms 64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=9 ttl=118 time=31.5 ms ^C --- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics --- 9 packets transmitted, 9 received, 0% packet loss, time 8009ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 23.880/26.868/33.685/3.178 ms pemartins@pemartins-X55U: ~ $ ping 1.1.1.1 PING 1.1.1.1 (1.1.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=19.3 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=59 time=25.4 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=59 time=89.4 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=59 time=24.7 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=5 ttl=59 time=16.8 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=6 ttl=59 time=16.3 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=7 ttl=59 time=19.1 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=8 ttl=59 time=17.8 ms 64 bytes from 1.1.1.1: icmp_seq=9 ttl=59 time=16.1 ms ^C --- 1.1.1.1 ping statistics --- 9 packets transmitted, 9 received, 0% packet loss, time 8011ms
Btw I made a correction to nohwcrypt, I screw that up and it does have to be nohwcrypt=0. I had it set to one and just lost ip twice in a row.
Again I can't state that enough: thank you very much!
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Thank you for posting the details.
In my country (NZ), or maybe just with my ISP, Google DNS goes to Sydney, with a ping of 31 ms or so, but Cloudflare (on 1.1.1.1 or 2606:4700:4700::1111) is 7 ms, suggesting the response comes from the same equipment that I connect to at my ISP.Originally posted by pemartins View Post5- Installed resolvconf, set google dns to be used ...
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Yes I tested some kernels and I think that finally I've got the wifi stable, fast and the web pages loading at a normal good speed.
@GreyGeek thank you so much for all your help, time and patience!
- - -
So... I'm going to list what I did and it was a lot of stuff, each small thing helped improving either on stability or speeding up the connection.
It's going to sound like something that is not advisable to do, I did so many things that it looks like I went on google, browsed for fixes and tweaks and applied everything I kept on finding. Well I kinda did that but on a trial and error basis, and the following list contains only the tweaks that helped me achieve a good wifi connection in focal 20.04.
1- Changed wifi router settings, moved to channel 9 and changed encryption to WPA2-AES with no WEP or TKIP.
2- Set wifi power save to off:
3- Set my country code, which is PT:Code:sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
4- Set nohwcrypt to zero:Code:sudo iw reg set PT sudo sed -i 's/^REG.*=$/&PT/' /etc/default/crda
5- Installed resolvconf, set cloudfare's dns to be used because is the faster one for me, created a file named resolv_cloudfare.conf in etc containing solely the cloudfare dns (this is not clever but it stops network manager from overwriting resolv.conf) and linked the resolv.conf file to it and (re)started the service:Code:echo "options rt2800pci nohwcrypt=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci
6- Stopped and disabled systemd-resolved:Code:sudo apt-get install resolvconf echo "nameserver 1.1.1.1" | sudo tee -a /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head > /dev/null echo "nameserver 1.1.1.1" | sudo tee /etc/resolv_cloudfare.conf > /dev/null sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.bak sudo ln -s /etc/resolv_cloudfare.conf /etc/resolv.conf sudo systemctl restart resolvconf.service sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci
7- Disabled ipv6:Code:sudo systemctl stop systemd-resolved sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved
8- Set IPv4 precedence over IPv6 by uncommenting #precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100 in the file /etc/gai.confCode:sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1
9- Since I use tlp, I made sure tlp was setting the wifi power save always to off by editing /etc/tlp.conf:
10- On the wifi connection I applied these tweaks:Code:WIFI_PWR_ON_AC=off WIFI_PWR_ON_BAT=off
11- I installed an application with gui for easily install/remove kernels named Mainline and installed the latest release of kernel 4.20. And applied the tweaks concerning the kernel again.Code:Wifi Restricted to device (MAC address do modem) IPv4 Method: Manual DNS: 1.1.1.1,1.0.0.1 Address: 192.168.1.7 Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.1.1 IPv6 Method: Ignored
12- And, why not... I even discovered an amazing web browser called Waterfox and it is probably the fastest web browser around these days (it's based on Firefox so all the addons are there). It is now my default browser.
That was about it. Cheaper by the dozen!
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
How much faster is "way, way faster"?
Is your browser fast enough that the current kernel can be used?
What kernel were you using when your wifi worked normally? Install it and see if that helps. It may, however, interfere with changes that expect the newest kernel, but testing is the way to find out.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
I figured out how to install the kernels, I found an app named "Mainline" and was able to install and test different kernels. Tried both the latest 4.19 and the latest 5.7, unfortunately neither showed any improvements concerning the web pages loading speed.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
Users Viewing This Topic
Collapse
There are 0 users viewing this topic.
Leave a comment: