Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ralink RT5390 wifi issues on focal 20.04

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pemartins
    replied
    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    1) roll back to an older kernel
    Could you please help me out on this one? I could not find a gui way to install and set a different kernel, in example like Linux Mint has.

    I was just browsing the web on my laptop on Android-x86 7.1r4, which uses kernel 4.19, and it makes the browsers in Kubuntu look like they are using a dial-up connection. It is incredibly faster. So I wanted to test kernel 4.19 (and maybe also 4.9) on Kubuntu 20.04.How can I do this?

    I'm sorry for troubling you again. Thank you very much in advance.

    Leave a comment:


  • pemartins
    replied
    Once again thank you very much for your precious help and for your time!

    So what I mentioned that I did about the nameserver did not work and the connection still lost the ip address at some time.

    After that i figured out 2) and typed the following instructions on Konsole:
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace]echo "options rt2800pci nohwcrypt=0" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf
    [/FONT]sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci
    sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci[FONT=monospace]
    [/FONT]
    While I cannot not yet say if it solved the problem or not, what I can happily say is that your instructions made my web browser open web pages way faster than it did before. I mean way, way faster!

    I will report back any developments on the issue.

    Thank you!

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    About modinfo and related commands:
    https://eng.libretexts.org/Courses/D..._lsmod_Command

    https://eng.libretexts.org/Courses/D..._lsmod_Command

    There is a manual process using created conf files and setting the parameters in them but now we use systemd.
    https://linuxize.com/post/sysctl-command-in-linux/

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Your shortage of USB ports can be solved by getting a powered 2.0 USB Hub. A passive hub is limited to the fanout of a single USB port, and that might not be enough power an external drive unless its cable has two connectors that can spread the load.


    I bought this one in Dec of 2013 and it works great:
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ronics&sr=1-11

    I replaced my CDROM with a CDCaddy so I could put in a 3rd HD and to replace the CDROM I purchased an external CDROM
    https://www.amazon.com/External-Port...tronics&sr=1-5
    It's good to plug this into a powered USB hub as well.


    If your computer has a single 3.0 USB port, like mine, you can get a powered 3.0 USB hub.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Charg...11&s=pc&sr=1-4

    Leave a comment:


  • pemartins
    replied
    @GreyGeek thank you very much for your help.

    Getting a wifi stick is not practical for me, my laptop only has a couple of usb slots and they're both always in use, I do not have one to spare.

    Changing the kernel could solve the issue? I will for sure consider this if another solution can't be found.

    About 2) please talk to me like if I was a computer genius... in googling and copy and pasting... and nothing else!
    Those tweaks are to be made where?

    Meanwhile I've tried redirecting resolv.conf to a file made by me that won't include nameserver 127.0.0.53 and only nameserver 8.8.8.8. Since I've tried that I haven't lost the ip yet and was able to download that file mentioned in the first post of this thread. But it's too soon to judge if it is workaround or not.
    For some reason, beside possibly being the cause of the issue, nameserver 127.0.0.53 appears to make webpages on the browser load slowly.

    Again thank you very much for your help!

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    I saw your post of Oct 29, 2016 and the fixes you applied there.
    A couple of possibilities.
    1) roll back to an older kernel
    2) set "nohwcryptisable hardware encryption. (bool)" to false

    I did a modinfo rt2800pci in a Konsole and that "nohwcrypt" is the ONLY parm that can be set when one loads the driver: modprobe rt2800pci nohwcrypt=0 (or by setting up an rt2800pci.conf file).

    One other possibility, no pretty but it works, and that is to get an economical wifi stick from Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/linux-wifi-ad...f=sr_nr_p_85_1
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 27, 2020, 06:52 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • pemartins
    started a topic Ralink RT5390 wifi issues on focal 20.04

    Ralink RT5390 wifi issues on focal 20.04

    Out of the box the wifi on my laptop was impossible to use, the connection just dropped every time in less than a minute.

    I made these changes on the router:
    - changed to channel 9;
    - changed encryption to WPA2-AES with no WEP or TKIP.

    And these changes on the laptop:
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
    sudo iw reg set PT
    sudo sed -i 's/^REG.*=$/&PT/' /etc/default/crda
    plus on the connection:
    - MAC restricted to device
    - IPV4 set to manual with Google DNS
    - IPv6 ignored.
    - Also set resolvconf to be used.

    After all that the connection is nearly perfect, except that the IP sometimes is lost. I was able to identify a specific time when it happens and collect logs from it.

    Specifically, when I download the game Ryza Roads from my itch io account, every time the connection is lost after a few MB downloaded.

    This is journalctl --follow" before the fail (MAC removed):
    Code:
    Before fail:
    
    $ journalctl --follow
    -- Logs begin at Wed 2020-08-12 19:38:30 WEST. --
    Aug 17 18:24:32 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=243 ID=2059 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=9360 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:24:54 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=54625 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=6116 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:25:16 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=61519 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=8713 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:25:31 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=192.35.169.17 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=44 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=34 ID=44792 PROTO=TCP SPT=57443 DPT=8089 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:25:55 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=31987 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=5430 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:26:18 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=51.254.167.166 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x08 PREC=0x00 TTL=233 ID=16337 PROTO=TCP SPT=43609 DPT=37771 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:26:34 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=43429 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=5363 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:26:49 pemartins-X55U wpa_supplicant[776]: wlp1s0: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=0 signal=-77 noise=9999 txrate=39000
    Aug 17 18:26:51 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=243 ID=26369 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=6790 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:27:00 pemartins-X55U wpa_supplicant[776]: wlp1s0: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=1 signal=-65 noise=9999 txrate=39000
    Aug 17 18:27:11 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=193.27.229.47 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=239 ID=8699 PROTO=TCP SPT=50830 DPT=33360 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:27:16 pemartins-X55U wpa_supplicant[776]: wlp1s0: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=0 signal=-75 noise=9999 txrate=19500
    Aug 17 18:27:21 pemartins-X55U wpa_supplicant[776]: wlp1s0: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=1 signal=-69 noise=9999 txrate=13000
    Aug 17 18:27:31 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=20298 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=4221 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:27:50 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=243 ID=30070 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=6003 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    This is "journalctl --follow" after the fail:

    Code:
    After failure:
    
    Aug 17 18:28:07 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 8.8.4.4.
    Aug 17 18:28:13 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 8.8.8.8.
    Aug 17 18:28:13 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=87.251.73.234 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=238 ID=24486 PROTO=TCP SPT=51807 DPT=6053 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:28:21 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using degraded feature set (TCP) for DNS server 8.8.4.4.
    Aug 17 18:28:24 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using degraded feature set (TCP) for DNS server 8.8.8.8.
    Aug 17 18:28:30 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=194.26.29.124 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=34993 PROTO=TCP SPT=44626 DPT=8085 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:28:51 pemartins-X55U wpa_supplicant[776]: wlp1s0: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=0 signal=-75 noise=9999 txrate=6500
    Aug 17 18:28:54 pemartins-X55U kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=wlp1s0 OUT= MAC=xxxx SRC=87.251.74.59 DST=192.168.1.7 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=238 ID=15748 PROTO=TCP SPT=44348 DPT=6628 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 
    Aug 17 18:28:54 pemartins-X55U wpa_supplicant[776]: wlp1s0: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-CHANGE above=1 signal=-67 noise=9999 txrate=1000
    And this is "journalctl -u systemd-resolved.service":

    Code:
    -- Reboot --Aug 17 17:48:07 pemartins-X55U systemd[1]: Starting Network Name Resolution...
    Aug 17 17:48:10 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Positive Trust Anchors:
    Aug 17 17:48:10 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: . IN DS 20326 8 2 e06d44b80b8f1d39a95c0b0d7c65d08458e880409bbc683457104237c7f8ec8d
    Aug 17 17:48:10 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Negative trust anchors: 10.in-addr.arpa 16.172.in-addr.arpa 17.172.in-addr.arpa 18.172.in-addr.arpa 19.172.in-addr.arpa 20.172.in-addr.arpa 21.172.in-addr.arpa 22.172.in-addr.arpa 23.172.in-addr.arpa 24.172.in-addr.arpa 25.172.in-addr.arpa 26.172.in-addr.arpa 27.172.in-addr.arpa 28.172.in-addr.arpa 29.172.in-addr.arpa 30.172.in-addr.arpa 31.172.in-addr.arpa 168.192.in-addr.arpa d.f.ip6.arpa corp home internal intranet lan local private test
    Aug 17 17:48:12 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using system hostname 'pemartins-X55U'.
    Aug 17 17:48:12 pemartins-X55U systemd[1]: Started Network Name Resolution.
    Aug 17 18:28:07 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 8.8.4.4.
    Aug 17 18:28:13 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using degraded feature set (UDP) for DNS server 8.8.8.8.
    Aug 17 18:28:21 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using degraded feature set (TCP) for DNS server 8.8.4.4.
    Aug 17 18:28:24 pemartins-X55U systemd-resolved[713]: Using degraded feature set (TCP) for DNS server 8.8.8.8.
    This is the paste of the script of ubuntuforums containing every necessary hardware and more info:
    Code:
    [URL]https://pastebin.com/raw/x1qtcHkr[/URL]
    Any ideas on how to fix this remaining wifi issue?
    Thank you very much in advance for any assistance.

    EDIT: solutions here https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post439947
    Last edited by pemartins; Aug 22, 2020, 02:15 PM.

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X