Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT support open source drivers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT support open source drivers?

I want to get a AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT. And I believe it supports open source drivers am I correct?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 06, 2021, 04:44 PM.

Yes it should work just fine .

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Yes it should work just fine .
      I just discovered this: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...ed-linux-20-50

Comment

I hope you have a good line on one, those prices are still ridiculous. 😲

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
          These nonfree drivers are not needed. They are mostly for professional workstation situations. AMD actually bases this on the open source driver, and unlike Nvidia they support and contribute to the open drivers.

Comment

These nonfree drivers are not needed. They are mostly for professional workstation situations. AMD actually bases this on the open source driver, and unlike Nvidia they support and contribute to the open drivers.
            Alright I guess I have nothing to worry about then.

And I have my stimulus money so hopefully that will be enough to pay for most if not all of my new desktop cost.

Comment

I had major issues with system stability, using the AMD Reon nonfree drivers, on linux, using my RX580 GPU. I had to use the non free drivers to get OpenCL (OpenComputeLanguage) acceleration working for the likes of Darktable and other software which uses the GPU for offloading processing.

In the end I went back to Nvidia, and zero issues since then!

Comment

Originally posted by brianinnes View Post
                I had major issues with system stability, using the AMD Reon nonfree drivers, on linux, using my RX580 GPU. I had to use the non free drivers to get OpenCL (OpenComputeLanguage) acceleration working for the likes of Darktable and other software which uses the GPU for offloading processing.

In the end I went back to Nvidia, and zero issues since then!
                A very specific situation most people won't come across.

97% of people will be fine using the stock open drivers for tasks such as gaming, video editing/transcoding and the like.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X