Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would somebody know how to scan with a canon ts3350 from Kubuntu 20.04 please?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would somebody know how to scan with a canon ts3350 from Kubuntu 20.04 please?

skanlite and xsane don't succeed to connect to the print-scanner.
    https://tutorialforlinux.com/canon-p...linux-install/

seems to bo a good help but the driver that we get from canon is cnijfilter2-source-5.90-1.tar.gz and therefore it is no .deb file after extraction and I don't know what to do with this.
    Last edited by nicrnicr; Jul 13, 2021, 12:45 AM.

Printer drivers in Linux don't provide a scanning functionality, so that file is not going to be of much use here, unfortunately.

Is this connected via USB, or wireless?
    I don't see that model listed on the Sane Linux scanner website, so it may not yet be supported by the usual open source scanning backend.

But if you are connected via USB try this command and post the output, if it finds anything:
    Code:
    sudo sane-find-scanner
    If it finds the scanner, it will give some useful ID info

If it is wireless and is connected to your wifi, it may need some extra manual configuration, so seeing if it works via USB will give better info on which specific driver it is using, specific device IDs, etc that should lead to how to get it working over wifi.

You may need to find Canon's scanner utility ScanGear MP, which should work though it is woefully feature-lacking and does not install a menu entry to run it (one can be created, or running scangearmp2 in a terminal will open it).
    But seeing what Sane finds may be better here, so try this first. Then maybe try upgrading Sane to a more current version that may support your scanner: https://launchpad.net/~sane-project/...u/sane-release

I think the link above is to the latest version.
    You can either try running the install script found inside the compressed file, else go into on of the folders and just double click the 64 bit scangear package to install.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jul 12, 2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

When I had a Canon I followed these instructions, https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspo...-printers.html.

Comment

Dear claydoh and Iangh,

Thank you very much for your answers.
        The printer works well.

Code:
        noura@noura-VivoBook-ASUS:~$ sudo sane-find-scanner
        [sudo] Passwort f?r noura: 

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
          # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
          # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
          # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x18a2 [TS3300 series]) at libusb:002:003
          # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
          # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
          # can't be detected by this program.
        noura@noura-VivoBook-ASUS:~$
        Thank you but I never use wireless. I think that using wireless is the best way to make things more complicated.

When I try to use Xsane, the scan-printer is well recognized but after there is a window which shows "Failure during the opening of the gear 'pixma:04A918A2': occupied gear."

Thereafter I installed the scangear MP utility that you advised.
        There is still the same failure window: "Failure during the opening of the gear 'pixma:04A918A2': occupied gear."

Comment

Did you do what the output suggested, by any chance:
          Code:
           # SANE. Try scanimage -L
          More info is always useful. Well, usually it is

"Failure during the opening of the gear 'pixma:04A918A2': occupied gear."

Is this the exact error, or is this a translation? I can't find any info on those terms.

Thank you but I never use wireless. I think that using wireless is the best way to make things more complicated.
          Actually, in this case, seeing the errors, it might not make a difference, but in reality, , on my dirt-cheap $30 Canon Pixma (which is very likely is using the exact same drivers for the scanner, all I needed to set up both the scanner and printer in 20.04 was to hit the WPS button on the router, and on the printer, as from instructions to manually set up the printer wirelessly with no extra software needed. Took all of 5 minutes, including finding and reading the manual .

however, one thing to try that I did just dig up:

https://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=2057428

You might try uninstalling ippusbxd

Comment

Dear claydoh and Iangh again,

I did not see on the CANON website that there are three files for linux: rpm, deb and source. I had a problem because I downloaded the source file.

Meanwhile the doughther of a friend came and she installed the scanning on a mobile phone. I just need to give the order on the mobile phone and I receive the scan on this gear.
            My problem is solved.

Thank you again

Comment

Working...
            X