Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is the upgrade installing this? Just curious as to why.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the upgrade installing this? Just curious as to why.

linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-45-generic the description says:
    "This package contains the Linux kernel extra modules for version 5.8.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP.

Also includes the corresponding System.map file, the modules built by the packager, and scripts that try to ensure that the system is not left in an unbootable state after an update.

Supports Generic processors.

Geared toward desktop and server systems.

You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the linux-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.

Canonical provides critical updates for linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-45-generic until Fri Apr 22 2022."
    Also linux-modules-5.8.0-45-generic says similar.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post

You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the linux-generic meta-package, which will ensure that upgrades work correctly, and that supporting packages are also installed.
    The above is accurate (bold and red added by me),

A meta-package simply is a list of dependencies to be installed, to make sure a desire set of things are included. The example above, linux-generic (which is present on ypour system) does not have any actual software in it, just depends on the current set of kernel packages, such as the linux-modules-extras one, as well as a number of others. This particular package has most of the kernel modules (drivers) in it. it is sort of necessary , unless you have an extremely core setup without any sort of peripherals at all.

So, when a kernel update is released, the linux-geneirc meta-package (or something similar) is remade to depend on the newest set of related kernel images, modules, etc. so you get all the bits. if one were to install just the package linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-45-generic you would risk missing all the other necessary bits.

Comment

Ok this isn't my area so I was just curious. The thing that caused me to wonder about this was the part in blue about You likely don't want to install... I just wanted to see what the reasoning was from the people that know this stuff.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Working...
      X