This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] New Laptop, No Love

I received an HP ENVY x360 Convertible for Christmas and set it up with the Windows 10 that it came with. I then removed the Optane/SSD that it came with and installed a Samsung 970 in its place to use with Kubuntu.

No matter what I do in the UEFI/BIOS, the laptop does not recognize the USB thumb drive with the Kubuntu 20.04.1 LTS live/installer. In the live screen, there is the Try Kubuntu and Install Kubuntu icons. Selecting either on results in no reaction. So not sure what to do next. Any recommendations?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

If it does not recognize the thumb drive, how are you getting the try/install options?

Was the iso verified?
    What did you use to make the thumb drive?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1162...ubuntu-live-cd
    This is probably outdated, and we don't know what specific model and hardware you have on that 360, but it will be worth checking for bios updates. It also might be worth trying 20.10, particularly if its an AMD device. Newer kernel with better hardware support.

Comment

It's an 11th gen i7. The USB thumb drive is the same unit used to install 20.04.1 on my my desktop PC. And I don't know why it reads the the live screen, but does not react to either keyboard clicks or mouse clicks. I have downloaded 20.10 and am writing it to a different USB thumb drive. Both thumb drives are written with Startup Disk Creator - the 20.04.1 using 18.04.5, and the 20.10 with 20.04.1.

I get that you are suggesting the thumb drive may be faulty. I don't think so, but it's worth trying a fresh thumb drive with 20.10.
      Last edited by jglen490; Dec 27, 2020, 05:00 PM. Reason: Correct Gen level to 11.
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        No matter what I do in the UEFI/BIOS, the laptop does not recognize the USB thumb drive with the Kubuntu 20.04.1 LTS live/installer. In the live screen, there is the Try Kubuntu and Install Kubuntu icons.
        The second sentence contradicts the first. If you get icons, the computer has recognized the USB drive and booted from it.

Do you mean it's unresponsive once you get the icons? Or that clicking them does nothing? Or maybe you haven't got icons at all, rather a text menu with those options? (In that case you'd have to use the keyboard.)

If you are able to choose "Try Kubuntu", you could start a konsole (an icon that looks like a screen with a ">" prompt) and type "ubiquity" to run the installer; then you might get messages indicating what's going wrong.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Yeah, unresponsive. The icons are displayed, after some time. Then when selecting the language drop down, I can select any lanuage and the displayed language changes. Then when selecting either the Try Kubuntu or Install Kubuntu - nothing occurs. I have selected each icon and after each selection left the display for 15 -20 minutes, but no response. Nothing occurs, no error, no blinking lights, no reaction whatsoever.

My apologies for not being clear, but the unresponsiveness does apply to what happens after selecting "Try .." or "Install ...". No way to open a konsole, either. About ready to try 20.10, I'll let you know.

Comment

Make the USB with dd, maybe? (You used to do that, but I see you used Startup Disk Creator here.)

Edit: Also, remember to boot in UEFI mode, too.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I got 20.10 to install. Debating on 20.04.1 ... 20.04.2.

Comment

I'm marking this one solved. With the 20.10 installer, I got better response from the track pad in 20.10 than I did in 20.04.

Comment

Working...
                X