X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Surface Go 2 Laptop - Trying to deactivate tap to click

Hi
    I installed Kubuntu on my surface Go 2. I must say I'm really happy with it, and it works way better than Windows 10, providing an almost Macbook-like experience with command line at hand. Congrats for this.
    I'm running into some trouble with tap-to-click functionality. I don't want it because it goes in the way constantly. Activating/deactivating it in the touchpad section of the config app worked fine and has suddenly stopped working. this after I installed Crossover, Dosbox, Discord, Slack : dunno if it has anything to do.
    I tried to add the line
    Option "Tapping" "False" in the touchpad section of /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-lib-input.conf and it worked for a while (the tapping options in the config app were grayed out). Then the tap-to click came back, while the line is still present and the option in config app now available again, but doesn't do anything.
    Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

PR

Welcome to Kubuntu and Kubuntu Forums, poissonradieux!

I'm not sure if this will help, as I had a different reason for needing this, but if you don't have xserver-xorg-input-synaptics installed, you might want to try adding that. You can install it via Synaptic [my favorite package manager] and other ways.

I usually have to close and reopen my System Settings a few times after installing it before its result appears there. It expands the default touchpad settings that are available; it looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_touchpad.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	644961

As you can see, it adds four tabs to the default, and a lot of other functionality.

By the way, the "synaptics" in xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and Synaptic the package manager aren't related!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Thanks DoYourKubuntu for this straightaway answer. I added this package as you suggested : the options look really nice and I think I'll keep this, but otherwise the problem stays the same, the checkbox for tap to click doesn't change anything.
      I'm thinking that something is preempting the settings here. How can I check that out?
      As said in my first post I installed Slack, Discord, Crossover, Dosbox ; I forgot to mention Steam (through the Valve repo) and LibreOffice. If the solution is there the most probable culprit would be Steam but it's not running in the background as of now (I just checked through top).
      Any further help would be really appreciated.
      PR

Comment

You're welcome, @poissonradieux. I just wish I had more to add. Unfortunately, I don't have much.

Since it was working properly before adding those apps, it most likely is caused by one of them...but that's as far as I can go. The only thing I can really suggest is uninstalling all of those programs, reboot, and see if it works again. If it doesn't, then there's a whole other issue involved. If it does, add one program at a time, verifying each time that the touchpad is still working correctly. Hopefully, you'll be able to identify the culprit. Once that's known, we can seek a solution.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
        X