This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PRINTER] printing proving v difficult

After a successful install of Kubuntu I thought I try to get printing to work. Total failure on that. I have a Canon MP190 and of course there is no driver for that. I'm trying to stay away from going 'under the hood' but this has proved impossible. I tried installing some Canon drivers (using the Synaptic package installer) not really knowing what i am doing...just blindly following the instructions. But I can't even get the generic drivers to appear in the printer driver selector (in the configure printer program). So I tried the 'text only' driver (this doesn't work). And in the Generic section (increasingly desperate) I tried a couple of those). The printer doesn't seem to be talking to me at all.
    Before I give up altogether and scrap Kubuntu (having wasted a good few hours on it), is there a simple way to get printing to work? Using a generic printer driver?
    Thanks
    ...I suppose if I got a network printer that would solve the problem.

But then I'd have to work out how to print to it.
    Last edited by triggerfish; Oct 20, 2020, 06:49 AM.

I have a Cannon TS6120 and the bottom line is that it is poorly supported by Linux. You are in a much tougher spot http://www.openprinting.org/printer/...on-PIXMA_MP190

Comment

Yes, I've concluded that a network printer is the way to go. Unfortunately there is just too much that doesn't work properly in Kubuntu 20 so I'm off to try a different distro..maybe Mint. I used to be a professional techie so I have a good idea about what's going on, but I can't be arsed with all the faffing around under the hood to get stuff to work. Problems with Thunderbird, problems with Evolution, no printing, can't run Scrivener etc etc. Shame, but this stuff is only for techies.

Comment

Working...
      X