X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Issue connecting to a Samsung Q70R TV

Hi,

For about 9 years I connected my PC with Linux Mint and now with Kubuntu 20.04, to a Samsung 43" Full HD TV; all was very well. Now that I'm replacing it by a 65" Samsung Q70R Smart TV, it is having problems recognizing the Kubuntu PC.

The error I get in the TV is that the input resolution is not compatible:

720x480 60i

My card data:
    *-display
    descripción: VGA compatible controller
    producto: GT216 [GeForce GT 220]
    fabricante: NVIDIA Corporation
    id físico: 0
    información del bus: pci@0000:01:00.0
    versión: a2
    anchura: 64 bits
    reloj: 33MHz
    capacidades: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
    configuración: driver=nouveau latency=0
    recursos: irq:130 memoria:de000000-deffffff memoria:c0000000-cfffffff memoria:d0000000-d1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memoria:c0000-dffff

Is it a problem of Kubuntu, the NVidia card, or what could it be?
    Last edited by alquimista.ndc; Sep 19, 2020, 10:52 PM.

configuración: driver=nouveau
    First step probably is to install the proprietary Nvidia drivers using the Driver Manager, not sure how well the open source driver supports modern TVs
    if possible you might be able to try changing the display settings if you can connect a second screen, and see if you can change the resolution for the TV with both connected.
    But the good driver will probably help greatly. Mint provides these non-free drivers on the installer, though *buntu are supposed to offer them in 20.04 now.

Do note that 20.04 based distros (including Mint 20) will be the last versions to have the 'good' NVIDIA drivers available for your video card, as Nvidia has dropped support past the 5.4 kernel.

Comment

Thank you. I'm not very techy. Would you recommend a good video card, so I can replace the Nvidia, and that can be supported by future versions of Linux / Kubuntu? The use I have is mostly videos, steaming. No gaming

Comment

With the native driver, now it works. Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by alquimista.ndc View Post
          With the native driver, now it works. Thank you !
          To be clear the "native" driver is the stock open source Nouveau driver.

As to video card choices any recent new card, even less expensive ones will be more than enough for your needs.

Ill guess that you will want to make sure it does not require an external power connector unless your current card uses one.

Something like an AMD rx 560 would do very well and does not use external drivers.
          Video card prices still seem overpriced due to crypto mining but there will be inexpensive cards out there.

The rx560 looks to be over priced still.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            To be clear the "native" driver is the stock open source Nouveau driver.

As to video card choices any recent new card, even less expensive ones will be more than enough for your needs.

Ill guess that you will want to make sure it does not require an external power connector unless your current card uses one.

Something like an AMD rx 560 would do very well and does not use external drivers.
            Video card prices still seem overpriced due to crypto mining but there will be inexpensive cards out there.

The rx560 looks to be over priced still.

Thank you!

Comment

Question, when I replace the video card, Kubuntu will detect it and automatically re adjust image, switching the old configuration to a new configuration? Like kind of plug and play of Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by alquimista.ndc View Post
                Question, when I replace the video card, Kubuntu will detect it and automatically re adjust image, switching the old configuration to a new configuration? Like kind of plug and play of Windows?
                Normally yes, but not with the proprietary Nvidia driver. A couple extra but simple steps are needed

You will need to uninstall the Nvidia drivers - you can select the Nouveau in the Driver Manager

Then:
                Run sudo apt autoremove to get rid of any stray Nvidia libs and files left behind.

Delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
                this, if present, will have settings specific to the previous card, and normally is not needed as settings are autodetected.

Reboot to make sure are working

Then install the new card and reboot. you are done.

Comment

ok thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X