Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a very peculiar monitor software issue on a multi-display setup.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Having a very peculiar monitor software issue on a multi-display setup.

First of all, some necessary background info: I have a 6-display setup with four of the displays running off of two identical dual-head video cards and two of them running off the motherboard, and I'm having issues with only one of the displays.
    They are connected like so:
    Motherboard VGA output --> working monitor
    Motherboard DVI output --> working monitor
    Video Card 1, Output 1 --> working monitor
    Video Card 1, Output 2 --> problem monitor
    Video Card 2, Output 1 --> working monitor
    Video Card 2, Output 1 --> working monitor

I say all of that to avoid having people tell me it's a video card issue, or a video driver issue. It's actually really convenient that I can eliminate that as a possible problem because I have another identical video card configured the same way that's working perfectly. It's something wrong with the monitor.

So, it's just a hardware issue with that monitor, right? Nope.
    1: This monitor works fine under windows with the exact same setup.
    2: When Kubuntu is booting up, the splash screen shows up on all monitors, including showing up perfectly on the problematic one.
    3: If I change the monitor's resolution to a sub-optimal one, it works normally (though distorted because it doesn't have the right aspect ratio)
    4: (and most mind-bogglingly) even when it's set to the optimal resolution and it's glitching out terribly the mouse cursor displays perfectly on the screen! You can see it in the screenshot. Nothing else will show up on that screen -- for example, any windows dragged onto it will be just as glitched as everything else -- but the mouse cursor always displays perfectly on it.

I've tried changing pretty much every setting possible through the display and monitor settings category in the system settings. Nothing helps. (Except for selecting a lower resolution ... but none of the resolutions available to choose match the monitor's aspect ratio, except for the primary one which is glitched out.

So...
    A) Has anybody seen this before -- especially the situation where the picture is glitched, but the mouse cursor shows up fine?
    B) Is there some settings or utility I haven't found yet to mess with monitor drivers and detection? The one glitching monitor is a Dell model -- the only Dell in the setup -- and maybe Kubuntu doesn't have the right driver for it or can't detect it properly?
    C) Does anyone know a way for me to experiment with custom resolutions -- ie, being able to type in any resolution I want? If nothing else, I'd like to try setting a lower resolution that matches the monitor's aspect ratio. (Or maybe try 1920x1080, which is what all my other monitors are, but this problematic monitor doesn't have the option for that resolution in the system settings gui. 1680x1050 is the highest it offers, which causes it to glitch out. Currently running it at 1280x1024, which works, but isn't optimal and doesn't match the aspect ratio.)

Tried replacing the monitor.

First replaced it with an older, lower-resolution screen. Though it was a completely different model, it still had issues when using its maximum resolution.
    Then replaced it with a monitor identical to a couple of my other ones. That now works perfectly.

The problem's solved for me now via hardware replacement, so figuring out how to fix the software compatibility issues is more of an academic exercise at this point.

Comment

Working...
    X