• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] No graphics card ?

Neofetch says

CPU: Intel i5-2430M (4) @ 3.000GHz
    GPU: AMD ATI Radeon HD 6630M/6650M/6750M/7670M/7690M
    GPU: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family
    But I cannot find graphics card listed under Stacer listing. It would be nice to know whether my Graphics card is working in Kubuntu 20.04. How can I check it ? Thanks.

Posting this from 18.04. Neofetch says
    CPU: Intel i5-2430M (4) @ 3.000GHz
    GPU: Intel 2nd Generation Core Proce
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6630M/6650M/6750M
    Here also nothing in Stacer. Very much confused. It would nice to know if there is any method to use the GPU. Thanks.

Comment

What computer make/model is this? Is this an OEM GPU, or one added? Have you looked at your bios to see if there is a setting to choose which GPU is active some systems only support one at a time via the BIOS, others disable the onboard when a card is added.

Stacer,. having nothing to do with Kubuntu, is probably just reporting whichever hardware device is active. Neofetch is probably listing whatever is physically present, no matter if it is active or not.

Comment

Thanks.

Dell Vostro 3550. I haven't added anything. Everything came in-built with the laptop. I haven't seen anything in BIOS. I will check again.

Comment

You may need a bios update

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...de=vostro-3550

There is a newer bios than this one

You won't need any special drivers, as these have them built in to the kernel, just like the intel ones are.
          Don't be surprised if the performance is not hugely different (outside of some video playback) , and just uses more battery and creates more heat
          Last edited by claydoh; Sep 02, 2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I am confused. So the GPU is working ? Or only after the BIOS update ?

Thanks for the effort.
            Last edited by Grahm; Sep 02, 2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

you need the bios update to enable switching the GPUs in the bios, which for Linux is (as far as I can tell from researching linux support for your specific laptop doing semi-brief google search while I pretend to work ) is the only way to be able to use the AMD card.

Comment

Thanks. Regret troubling you during work hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahm View Post
                  Thanks. Regret troubling you during work hours.
                  Between videos, games, being snarky, the Internet, and wrenching on my scooter, I do squeeze enough time for work somehow...

Comment

Multi tasking

Comment

Working...
                    X