This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Powers off at Log In

So I hope someone can help figure this out as I'm stumped.

Had to replace the battery in my laptop. Initially all well with it. On Charger and Off. That was day one.

The next day when booting while not on charger all seemed fine. Get to the login screen and all is well. When I log in it immediately turns off.

On subsequent reboots the same thing. Once I plugged back up and reboot, log in goes great. Battery reports fine but as soon as I take it of AC, off it goes again.

So, thinking I got a bad battery I re-seat it and same thing. Odd thing is if a bad battery it should really do that at boot and even when at the login screen. It is only at log in that occurs.

I use 3 different USB Boot test systems. I tried Kubuntu, Neon and Xubuntu. They all boot and auto login fine while on Battery. Battery reports fine as well as, All runs perfect and battery is perfect.

Anyone have a clue why it would just power off on log in (while on battery)?

No I have not tried making a different account. Didn't think of that until now and will try that but maybe some one has a clue to strange behavior.

EDIT: So a new defined user suffers the same on log in while on battery. Tried the Kubuntu Live disk again and this time that did the same thing. However, Neon does not. Looking at the boot process they all show Battery Present message. So, not sure. When on Neon Live all functions as it should. Battery consumption seems normal. Really odd.

Wait for new battery to come in and see.
    Last edited by MoonRise; Sep 02, 2020, 05:50 PM.

Just an idea, have you checked the power management settings under the battery tab in system settings?

Comment

Actually that was one of the first things I checked. All looked normal there. Nothing set that would prompted it do that. Even the new account had what would have been default and still same issues.

It's really odd. The Neon Live Boot doesn't do it. It works flausley all the way to Desktop and many many minutes after. Ran the battery down to 80% just testing. After subsequent tests with the Kubuntu Live Boot and the Xubuntu Live Boot, they all did the same Power Off issues once it got started on the Splash. Those didn't even make it to the Login Screen.

Have another battery on order. We'll see after that.

Comment

Working...
      X