This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GRUB] Grub II taking long time to start booting

Ever since a recent update Grub II has been taking about a minute and a half to start booting. Once booting starts it only takes a few seconds before I am able to start using my computer. It only took a few seconds to start booting a few months ago. Did Grub II depreciate something this year?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

What is wrong here:

Code:
    steve7233@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$ dmidecode -t baseboard.
    Invalid type keyword: baseboard.
    Valid type keywords are:
     bios
     system
     baseboard
     chassis
     processor
     memory
     cache
     connector
     slot
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Maybe the period after baseboard?
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Review this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/7110...or-dev-disk-by
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Where specifically is it taking longer, exactly?

Anbeasy way to see which part of the boot is taking a ling time is the command systemd-analyze

It will show a summary of how long it takes at each stage of boot, from loadingm the firmware or Bios to getting to the desktop

Here is my PC

Code:
          $ systemd-analyze
          Startup finished in 10.272s (firmware) + 7.109s (loader) + 3.255s (kernel) + 4.033s (userspace) = 24.670s
          graphical.target reached after 4.023s in userspace
          So my last boot, it took 10.272 seconds to get past the firmware, and sat at the grub menu for 7.109 seconds before it moved on to booting the OS. Then 3.255 seconds to load Linux, and 4.033 for Plasma to load (I use auto login on this system)

We can use the output to narrow down which part of the boot process to focus on.

If it takes that long to start booting my guess it would be the computers firmware or bios.
          Last edited by claydoh; Sep 02, 2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Where specifically is it taking longer, exactly?

Anbeasy way to see which part of the boot is taking a ling time is the command systemd-analyze

It will show a summary of how long it takes at each stage of boot, from loadingm the firmware or Bios to getting to the desktop

Here is my PC

Code:
            $ systemd-analyze
            Startup finished in 10.272s (firmware) + 7.109s (loader) + 3.255s (kernel) + 4.033s (userspace) = 24.670s
            graphical.target reached after 4.023s in userspace
            So my last boot, it took 10.272 seconds to get past the firmware, and sat at the grub menu for 7.109 seconds before it moved on to booting the OS. Then 3.255 seconds to load Linux, and 4.033 for Plasma to load (I use auto login on this system)

We can use the output to narrow down which part of the boot process to focus on.

If it takes that long to start booting my guess it would be the computers firmware or bios.
            Yours looks reasonable. I tried your command but it does not tell how long for firmware nor the loader.
            Code:
            steve7233@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$ systemd-analyze
            Startup finished in 3.136s (kernel) + 1min 36.202s (userspace) = 1min 39.339s 
            graphical.target reached after 1min 36.191s in userspace
            steve7233@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
              Maybe the period after baseboard?
              Thanks. I missed that. ��
              Code:
              steve7233@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$ sudo dmidecode -t baseboard
              [sudo] password for steve7233: 
              # dmidecode 3.2
              Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
              SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes
              Base Board Information
                    Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
                    Product Name: Z68XP-UD3
                    Version:  
                    Serial Number:  

steve7233@steve7233-Z68XP-UD3:~$
              It's a home-built desktop so no model for the entire computer but maybe the motherboard info will help. Maybe a different command can get the serial number and version?
              Last edited by steve7233; Sep 02, 2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Code:
                + 1min 36.202s (userspace) = 1min 39.339s 
                Well there's your problem.
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Mine appears slow too. I wondered about the loader time being 40 seconds. This topic brought to my mind why getting to grub takes so long.
                  Code:
                  Startup finished in 16.221s (firmware) + 40.812s (loader) + 3.354s (kernel) + 4.445s (userspace) = 1min 4.834s 
                  graphical.target reached after 4.437s in userspace
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                    + 1min 36.202s (userspace) = 1min 39.339s
                    Well, it definitely is not related to grub at all.

Lets go into more detail

Code:
                    systemd-analyze blame
                    This will list each component listed in order of time.
                    Note that since multiple items are loaded at once, there is not a 1:1 correlation to overall boot times.

Code:
                    systemd-analyze critical-chain
                    This one can show what services may be holding up other services that are waiting something to load.

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                      Mine appears slow too. I wondered about the loader time being 40 seconds. This topic brought to my mind why getting to grub takes so long.
                      Code:
                      Startup finished in 16.221s (firmware) + 40.812s (loader) + 3.354s (kernel) + 4.445s (userspace) = 1min 4.834s 
                      graphical.target reached after 4.437s in userspace
                      You are sitting at grub for 40 seconds. Its probably waiting for user input?

Maybe similar to this;
                      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...137-Boot-issue

Comment

I checked the link that snowing provided and created a swap file. Now it seems to have lost my user desktop! I managed to get into a tty. I can't find my desktop using CD and LS. Do I need to reinstall Kubuntu 20.04?

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                          I checked the link that snowing provided and created a swap file. Now it seems to have lost my user desktop! I managed to get into a tty. I can't find my desktop using CD and LS. Do I need to reinstall Kubuntu 20.04?
                          Dunno, we don't know the exact steps you took to create a swap file. Do you mean an actual swap file, or a swap partition. A swap file should not effect any partitions or drives, while creating a new partition may change your drive IDs so they won't match the IDs in your fstab.

You should already have a swap file, thbis has been the standard swap mechanism in *buntu for a few releases now. A swap partition can still be used, of course.

I don't see any specific swap creation directions on the link Snowhog posted, which may or may not be relevant to your slow boot time (since the time lag is after the OS is loaded)

May be quicker to reinstall, not having enough info to go on.

Comment

Oops. I think I may have miss read the link. I created a new partition. I probably should have read it slower. I need to do some work from home so I think I better reinstall and chalk this one up to not having enough time to learn and figure it out. Anoying since I will lose a few files that I may not be able to recover.

Comment

When you boot the live disk, the drives should still be there. Adding the partition just probably changed the IDs, so the fstab no longer is accurate. They should still be accessible.

Comment

Working...
                              X