This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PRINTER] Printer only prints first page

Hi, I've been having problems getting my printer to print more then the first page, at first I thought the problem was a failure to print copies, but I just tried printing a multi-page document and it only prints the first page.

It's a network printer Brother MFC_J485DW.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam
    Last edited by MrSmith123; Aug 22, 2020, 01:37 PM.

What are you printing from? If it's okular (for PDFs), after clicking print, click Options, and check the print range.

I have a similar Brother printer, and I couldn't find a print range in its settings, or in Kubuntu system settings.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I've tried printing from Libre Office and Kate, with the same results.

Comment

Now I can't print anything at all. The only thing I did before the printer stopped working in Kubuntu 20.04 was try printing from the command line using lp and lpr. Now when I try printing the printer says it's starting the job then says canceling half a second later, and nothing comes out. I have verified that the printer works flawlessly in windows 10.
        It was partially working in kubuntu 19, would print the first page but nothing after that.
        It was working slowly in kubuntu 18, would print copies no problem, but very very slowly.
        I hope I can get this fixed since dual-booting just to print something will get old fast.

Sam

Comment

I just replaced a 480, that printed great with Linux. I used the driver from the brother site, over wifi. What driver & connection are you using?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Thanks! This had me looking in the correct direction!
            I was using the cups printer that Kubuntu setup automatically (Brother MFC-J485DW, driverless, cups-filters 1.27.4)
            So I installed the driver AND cups wrapper from the brother website. For anyone reading this you have to follow their (Brothers) instructions exactly. Even after I installed both the driver and cups wrapper I couldn't get the printer working, until I added a new cups printer following the instructions on brothers website. You get into the cups server frontend by typing http://localhost:631/ I'm always forgetting that url.
            I used:
            LPD/LPR Host or Printer
            then for the device url lpd://(ip address)/binary_1

Now it works, not only that, it works much better then it ever has under the "default" Kubuntu drivers. It prints quickly, no long pauses between pages (my experience with default drivers in kubuntu 18).
            One reason I love Brother printers is because they have decent linux drivers, I just didn't realize the default drivers in Kubuntu weren't up to the task. Thanks again, this has me extremely happy, one less reason to boot window$.

Comment

Thank you for that feedback. I've been running with the Kubuntu drivers since 18.04 (when Kubuntu shat itself and I had to reinstall), but my printing is so little I hadn't noticed anything. But today I've had a frustrating experience with scanner software, xsane and skanlite, crashing, so you've encouraged me to have a look at installing the Brother stuff.

The Brother's great, except that the paper out tray arrangement is hopeless. I think they must have tested it with heavier paper than is commonly available where I shop. I keep meaning to duct tape a tray under the edge of the table it's on, it couldn't be worse.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

I'm trying to imagine a tapped tray under your desk

Comment

Working...
                X