X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SCANNER] Shame

Hello,
    even the version 20.04.1 is missing the half of all Canon printer drivers. And the problem with my Canon printer-scanner "scanner is busy" is still there. I cannot print and scan. Therefore Good Bye Kubuntu.
    Sigurd

What methods have you tried to use to install your Cannon printer?
    IF all else fails you can try CUPS
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/...ter-on-ubuntu/
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      What methods have you tried to use to install your Cannon printer?
      IF all else fails you can try CUPS
      https://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/...ter-on-ubuntu/
      Hi GreyGeek,
      the printer driver is not the problem. I have it and I can install it by hand. But I still cannot scan. And I need the scanner. And in April I wrote here about it. And nothing has changed in Kubuntu 20.04.1. Now I am using another OS. Thank you for your willingness to help. But now I can scan and print as usual and as it was until Kubuntu 19.10.
      Regards, Sigurd

Comment

It would be interesting to see which distro works, and see what version of Sane that it uses, and compare it to 20.04

I am running 20.04 in my laptop, and I have one of those 20$ Canon Pixma printer/scanners (was cheaper than the cost of taking things to Staples!).
        On my 18.04 PC, I have to upgrade Sane via PPA in order to have support for this device, and then do some manual configs to enable wireless scanning: I had to edit the sane scanner driver file /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf and add the ip address, as well as specify the address in /etc/sane.d/net.conf file.

Now, on my laptop, I didn't do anything but install skanlite, and my scanner was detected right out of the box. No config editing.I did this just now, never having used this machine for printing or scanning. I do admit I was a bit surprised.

Oddly, my 18.04 PC with the PPA has a newer version of sane, while my 20.04 laptop is one version behind.

So for me, I gained easier usage.

I used to be a semi-expert on getting scanners to work, but this was at least ten years ago,, if not longer. Back when you had to config everything, and often have to build sane things from source.
        The 'busy' error used to be a permission s problem, sometimes a USB problem, but also a 'running-a-program-with-sudo' screwing things up but again that was in a different era and no longer valid today afaik, and I could not find any useful info on what to look for that is relevant to today

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          It would be interesting to see which distro works, and see what version of Sane that it uses, and compare it to 20.04

I am running 20.04 in my laptop, and I have one of those 20$ Canon Pixma printer/scanners (was cheaper than the cost of taking things to Staples!).
          On my 18.04 PC, I have to upgrade Sane via PPA in order to have support for this device, and then do some manual configs to enable wireless scanning: I had to edit the sane scanner driver file /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf and add the ip address, as well as specify the address in /etc/sane.d/net.conf file.

Now, on my laptop, I didn't do anything but install skanlite, and my scanner was detected right out of the box. No config editing.I did this just now, never having used this machine for printing or scanning. I do admit I was a bit surprised.

Oddly, my 18.04 PC with the PPA has a newer version of sane, while my 20.04 laptop is one version behind.

So for me, I gained easier usage.

I used to be a semi-expert on getting scanners to work, but this was at least ten years ago,, if not longer. Back when you had to config everything, and often have to build sane things from source.
          The 'busy' error used to be a permission s problem, sometimes a USB problem, but also a 'running-a-program-with-sudo' screwing things up but again that was in a different era and no longer valid today afaik, and I could not find any useful info on what to look for that is relevant to today
          Hi Claydoh,
          Kubuntu 18.04 is no problem. Everything works. Kubuntu 19.10 is no problem. Everything works. Kubuntu 20.04 the half of the Canon drivers are missing. And Cannon Pixma MG 5750 scanner is recognized but a message appears "scanner is busy". And nothing goes. I told this here in this forum. Now Kubuntu 19.10 is over. And Kubuntu 20.04.1 has the same bugs.

Nothing has changed. You simple have to build in the printer drivers of Kubuntu 19.10 und the Sane version of Kubuntu 19.10 and everything will work again. But without my printer/scanner I cannot use Kubuntu anymore. Now I use KDE Neon 5.19 and I can use my scanner/printer again.
          Kind regards, Sigurd

Comment

Originally posted by Sigurd View Post
            Hi Claydoh,
            Kubuntu 18.04 is no problem. Everything works. Kubuntu 19.10 is no problem. Everything works. Kubuntu 20.04 the half of the Canon drivers are missing. And Cannon Pixma MG 5750 scanner is recognized but a message appears "scanner is busy". And nothing goes. I told this here in this forum. Now Kubuntu 19.10 is over. And Kubuntu 20.04.1 has the same bugs.

Nothing has changed. You simple have to build in the printer drivers of Kubuntu 19.10 und the Sane version of Kubuntu 19.10 and everything will work again. But without my printer/scanner I cannot use Kubuntu anymore. Now I use KDE Neon 5.19 and I can use my scanner/printer again.
            Kind regards, Sigurd
            Be wary then. Neon is using Ubuntu 18.04 as its base but very soon they will move to 20.04 so in terms of scanners and such it will be identical to Ubuntu/Kubuntu 20.04. At some point fairly soon after the upgrade they will remove the 18.04 stuff.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

For reference this is a good site for solutions, https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspo...-printers.html.

Comment

Working...
              X