This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 20.04 Printer brother MFC-L2710DW

I am not very familiar with Linux and just follow written instructions to do things.

I have used this printer-scanner with Ubuntu 18.04 32 bit and had successfully installed its drivers.
    I moved to Kubuntu 20.04 64 bit and have problem getting the printer-scanner to work.

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.8
    Kernel Version: 5.4.0-42-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit

I contacted brother, they referred me to their support pages which I had already seen. The only new advise was that I also need to install 32 bit drivers.
    The advice included:
    For DEB-based distributions

1. If your distribution does not have a 32 bit library as standard, install it. (For example, install lib32stdc++6 for Debian, ia32-libs or lib32z1 for Ubuntu.)
    2. Install the LPD/LPRng driver and the CUPS driver using the --force-architecture option.
    3. If the /usr/lib64 directory exists, check whether the "br (printer name) filter" file exists under /usr/lib64/cups/filter. If not, copy it from the /usr/lib/cups/filter directory.
    4. Set up the printer using "http://localhost:631/printers".

I did this but still not working

Installations of downloaded brother drivers:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all brscan5-1.2.3-0.amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-all brscan-skey-0.3.1-1.amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i brother-udev-rule-type1-1.0.2-0.all.deb
    gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1.gz
    sudo su -> (then) # bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 MFCL2710DW
    because trying to install USB answered no to will you specify the device URI
    Sudo dpkg -i --force-all brscan-skey-0.3.1-1.i386.deb

When I installed brscan-skey:i386 it was installed, but a warning was given:
    dpkg: warning: unable to delete old directory '/usr/lib64': Directory not empty

I installed lib32z1 from the discovery software centre.

checking installation in terminal:
    # dpkg -l | grep Brother
    ii brother-udev-rule-type1 1.0.2 all Brother udev rule type 1
    ii brscan-skey:i386 0.3.1-1 i386
    Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
    ii brscan4:i386 0.4.9-1 i386
    Brother Scanner Driver
    ii brscan5 1.2.3-0 amd64
    Brother Scanner Driver brscan5
    ii mfcl2710dwpdrv:i386 4.0.0-1 i386
    Brother MFC-L2710DW printer driver (lpd/cups)
    ii printer-driver-brlaser 6-1build1 amd64 printer driver for (some)
    Brother laser printers
    ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.4.2-3 amd64 printer driver
    Brother P-touch label printers

About the lib64 directory, I checked there was no cups or filter directories in lib64. So I have created the directories and copied the following three files from lib/cups/filter to lib64/cups/filter: brtoembosser ; brftopagedbrf ; brother_lpdwrapper_MFCL2710DW. (I copied all three because they had br at the beginning. Other than these three files there are no other files in lib64/cups or in lib64/cups/filter
    But this has not worked and gives error messages for example : Error opening device: opening device 'escl:http://127.0.0.1:60000': Invalid argument
    But I have been trying to install the USB not wifi
    As experiment I also once copied the three files directly to /lib64
    the scanner just about started but gave error again: gscan2pdf: sane_start: Invalid argument
    the printer gives a busy message

The description in the printers is:

Description: MFCL2710DW
    Driver: Brother MFCL2710DW for CUPS (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
    Connection: cups-brf:/
    Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=one-sided

The installed brother drivers are:

# dpkg -l | grep Brother
    ii brother-udev-rule-type1 1.0.2 all Brother udev rule type 1
    ii brscan-skey:i386 0.3.1-1 i386 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
    ii brscan4:i386 0.4.9-1 i386 Brother Scanner Driver
    ii brscan5 1.2.3-0 amd64 Brother Scanner Driver brscan5
    ii mfcl2710dwpdrv:i386 4.0.0-1 i386 Brother MFC-L2710DW printer driver (lpd/cups)
    ii printer-driver-brlaser 6-1build1 amd64 printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
    ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.4.2-3 amd64 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

In the root folders there are:

lib; lib32; lib64 and libx32

libx32 is empty; lib64 did not have cups or filter directories before I created them.

The advice pages are the following:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqe...aq00100675_000

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=mfcl2700dw_us_eu_as& ftype3=100257&faqid=faq00100678_000

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=mfcl2710dw_us_eu_as& ftype3=100257&faqid=faq00100549_000

https://support.brother.com/g/b/down...s_eu_as&os=128

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=mfcl2710dw_us _eu_as&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625

https://support.brother.com/g/b/prod...710dw_us_eu_as

I haven't yet tried to uninstall and reinstall everything again - extremely time consuming for people without foundations in Linux.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 06, 2020, 05:40 PM. Reason: Correct spelling in Title

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I have the 2750 and have it working fine on 20.04. Here's the notes I followed.

MFC-L2710DW
    https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspo...-printers.html (see bit re scanner)
    https://support.brother.com/g/b/down...ng=4&type3=625
    Printer 192.168.0.118 (make a note of your printer's IP address before starting as you need to it during install. Use router to make it static)
    bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 MFC-L2710DW
    say Yes for network (at some stage I have to say yes to network)

I recently installed Kubuntu on my wife's latest PC a month ago and used these snippets to get it working OK. I suggest following the instructions on Brother's site (below, remember to sudo) and checking EasyLinux page if you have problems after installing. I use Skanlite and gscan2pdf for scanning.

Step1. Download the tool.(linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz)
    The tool will be downloaded into the default "Download" directory.
    (The directory location varies depending on your Linux distribution.)
    e.g. /home/(LoginName)/Download

Step2. Open a terminal window.
    Step3. Go to the directory you downloaded the file to in the last step. By using the cd command.
    e.g. cd Downloads
    Step4. Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:
    Command: gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-*.gz
    e.g. gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz
    Step5. Get superuser authorization with the "su" command or "sudo su" command.
    Step6.

Run the tool:

Command: bash linux-brprinter-installer-*.*.*-* Brother machine name
    e.g. bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC-J880DW

Step7. The driver installation will start. Follow the installation screen directions.

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",
    For USB Users: Choose N(No)
    For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI number.

The install process may take some time. Please wait until it is complete.

Comment

I have a Brother MFC-J5330DW, connected via the LAN, and in 16.04 and 18.04 I installed brother drivers. Back in 2016 it was a mission to track down the installer scripts for linux; I eventually found them on some random nation's brother support site.

And then, I did a clean install of 20.04. Printer and scanner worked without installing anything brother specific.

[Edit] After posting, I rebooted to the Kubuntu 20.04 iso, and without installing anything it printed, and scanned with skanlite. If this is not your experience, blueberry, I expect it is because you are connecting the printer via a USB cable. These days, it's much more convenient to connect a printer to your network, then anything on the network can use it, even smartphones. However, if the printer doesn't have Wifi (like the MFC-L2710DW) that can mean locating the printer near the router, or an access point, or an ethernet jack.

Now, when I did install drivers, there were no i386 packages involved. I used linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 and brscan4-0.4.4-4.amd64.deb. It installed lots of stuff to /opt/brother, and in the scanner/brscan4/models4 directory there's 20 .ini files with "Support Model" sections and "MFC-L2710DW" is in the last one. On 18.04 the only glitch was that the scanner .deb needed the libusb-0.1 package to work. (I don't understand that, as USB is not involved and the .deb should specify that dependency if it's needed.) So to install stuff on 18.04 the steps were:
      • sudo ./linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1
      • sudo apt install libusb-0.1
      • sudo dpkg -i brscan4-0.4.4-4.amd64.deb
      • brsaneconfig4 -a name=paul model=MFC-J5330DW ip=192.168.1.201

(For that last step, I use the LAN's router to fix the brother's IP address.)

On 18.04 I ended up with two printers showing in system settings; Kubuntu kept adding one it found on the network, and I couldn't tell it not to. Annoying, but I gave up and disabled one of them.
      Last edited by jlittle; Aug 06, 2020, 10:44 PM. Reason: add finding
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks Iangh and Jlittle.

Eventually I had to settle for Wi-Fi connection. I am writing what I did as experience if someone else has the same problem.
        It took many many hours for me to try to fix it and couldn't fix the USB connection. The driver licence is GPL2 and I hope people designing Kubuntu or Debian can include the driver automatically in the Kubuntu in a way that resolves all the problems, particularly for USB connection.

------------------

I went through the advice given by Brother technical help, uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them again trying for USB.
        The USB connection worked for printing but still did not work for the scan.
        A driverless version of the printer was coming up in the printer models present in the printer config. Brother technical advisor said that they tried the driver on a PC and it was working. Brother technical help believed there was something wrong in the Kubuntu system which may be resolved by a clean reinstallation of Kubuntu.

I did not reinstall Kubuntu – hoping to fix the printer.

---------------

I installed printer drivers under windows where the USB connection worked.
        Using Windows brother utilities I set the printer IP

In Kubuntu, I reinstalled the drivers using the driver install tool “linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1.gz” with the network option to connect via Lan - using the printer IP for Lan; couldn't get the computer apps to connect to the printer.

----------------

So tried the Wi-Fi, paired the printer with the router.

Then in Kubuntu’s printers setup/configuration, changed the printer IP as it was showing for Wi-Fi
        In Kubuntu’s printers configuration, I set the printer called MFCL2710DW as the default printer; the driver for this was showing as “current- Brother MFCL2710DW for cups”.
        Again printing worked but scanning did not work.
        I used the "brsaneconfig4" advised in the last line of jlittle advise (above) to give the correct IP to the scan driver.
        # brsaneconfig4 -a name=leaf model=MFC-L2710DW ip= ... (typed the printer IP)

The scanning apps (Skanlite and gscan2pdf) started to work without error.
        As advised I also made the IP static via router. As to the other advice:
        - I did not have to copy any installed brother drivers from /lib64/sane to /lib.
        - I checked the package manager libusb-0.1-0 and libusb-0.1-4 were already installed.

I removed all the extra printers showing in the system setting module but the “Brother_MRC_L2710DW_series driverless printer” kept coming back, I suppose because it is a default driver.

After computer restart, Printing worked without problem. However Skanlite couldn't find the correct scanner, but gscan2pdf brought up the correct device name (leaf) as default and scanning worked with it.

Seeing Skanlite was not working properly, again I uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled them with Wi-Fi connection in mind.

---------------------------

Uninstall:
        dpkg -P brscan-skey
        dpkg -P brscan4

dpkg -P mfcl2710dwpdrv:i386

Install:
        bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.2-1 MFC-L2710DW
        Will you specify the Device URI? [Y/n] →y

16 (A): Auto. (dnssd://Brother%20MFC-L2710DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-3c2af45b9b41)
        select the number of destination Device URI. ->16
        enter IP address ->...( typed the printer IP)

brsaneconfig4 -a name=MFC-L2710DW model=MFC-L2710DW ip= (showed the printer IP)

After installation and restart of the computer – test results:

Skanlite
        Skanlite brought up four different devices
        First: Brother MFC-L2710DW brother4:net1;dev0 - scanning worked.

The other three did not work:
        Brother MFC-L2710DW brother4:bus2;dev1 - error message: opening the selected scanner failed.
        ESCL MFC-L2710DW series escl:http://127.0.0.1.60000 - error message: opening the selected scanner failed.
        ESCL Brother MFC-L2710DW series escl:http://(correct printer IP):80 - the scanner activated but after scanning gave error message: invalid argument

gscan2pdf
        gscan2pdf brought up four devices

First: Brother MFC-L2710DW on brother4:net1;dev0 – scanning worked.

The other three devices did not work:
        The second Brother MFC-L2710DW on brother4:bus2;dev1 gave error message: opening device 'brother4:bus2;dev1': Invalid argument
        The third ESCL Brother MFC-L2710DW series gave error argument gscan2pdf:sane_start: Invalid argument
        The fourth ESCL MFC-L2710DW series gave error message: escl:http:/127.0.0.1:600000 Device busy

Printers - system settings module
        Two devices could be seen both of which worked:
        First
        • Brother_MFC_L2710DW_series
        Kind: Brother MFC-L2710DW series, driverless, cups-filters 1.27.4
        It worked printing a test page
        - however after printing, in the settings module it was showing its status as “Idle - waiting for job to complete”.
        Second
        • MFCL2710DW
        Kind: Brother MFCL2710DW for cups
        It worked printing a test page
        - after printing status was showing simply as Idle.

I made the second the default printer.

Comment

Working...
        X