Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PRINTER] Epson XP-4100 Printer stopping during print runs since upgrade to 20.04

Hiya,
    My brother bought an Epson XP-4100 multifunction printer/scanner. At the time he was on Kubuntu 19.10. We downloaded the Epson drivers, updated lsb as per the download website instructions.
    The printer is connected via USB and the network/wireless element is not configured yet i.e. the WiFi password has not been entered so theoretically the printer should have no access to the laptop other than via usb cable.
    All seemed to work fine under Kubuntu 19.10.
    My brother upgraded to 20.04 when 19.10 reached end-of-life and since then the printer pauses, delays and then stops if you send more than one print job to it.
    When the XP-4100 printer is plugged in the system installs it in the newfangled driverless fashion but the printer shows up under 'Discovered Network Printers' rather than 'Local Printers', which surely can't be right? [we checked this by clicking 'Add Printer' to see how it locates it].

I have the same Kubuntu 20.04 on my PC (I also upgraded from 19.10) and I have an older XP-312 multifunction printer/scanner so I did a few tests as mine works fine.
    My XP-312 is normally on the network via wireless and it's configured via the driverless option in this case. It is correctly detected as a network printer.
    Without the regular Epson Printer driver installed, I plugged my printer in via usb and I got a pop-up that the printer was discovered followed by a failed to configure message. Checking in System Settings the printer had been set up as driverless and did work and it was under 'local printers' not 'network printers'. I then unplugged my printer, installed the generic Epson driver from the regular repo, plugged it back in and this time the second pop-up message indicated that it was configured correctly. System Settings/Printers indicated it had been auto set-up with the manufacturer's driver and not the driverless option [again, it was correctly under 'local printers'].

As my brother is 300 miles away I can't see exactly what's happening in his case, but my understanding of the auto-configuration system is that:
    1. It should prefer a regular driver to driverless if one is available.
    2. USB connections should be detected as 'local' & networked one as 'network'.
    3. You should be able to change the printer from driverless to a regular driver from 'Configure' in System Settings/Printers (my brother has tried this but then the printer stops working altogether)

I wonder if the upgrade to 20.04 means the Epson drivers have to be re-installed?
    Also, when printing from Thunderbird or Firefox he sees an extra print option for his driverless XP-4100. One with hyphens in the name and the other with underscores. One works and then stops, the other doesn't at all - I've seen this too with network driverless-configured printers at work.

Anyway, totally confused by how this is all supposed to work from the client side and any help, misconceptions corrected, would be appreciated.

Attached is a screenshot of what my brother sees in System Settings after the printer balks at the second print job.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

Sometimes the "driverless" driver lacks the functionality of the Manufacturers driver. In this case you may be better off with Epson's driver.

I do see a .deb for 20.04:

http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php

I would suggest downlaoding it and trying out. You need "re-add" the printer and this time the driver version on USB connection. You will have two copies of the same printer so be careful which one you select when printing.

Comment

Hi, thanks.
      I'll try that, although that appears to be the driver for the scanner element. But that's fine as I've found the printer driver (only updated last year pre 20.04) and the Printer Utility which is from May this year.
      So far the printer only shows up as a Network printer rather than Local when connected via USB, which is very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by siabost View Post
        Hi, thanks.
        I'll try that, although that appears to be the driver for the scanner element. But that's fine as I've found the printer driver (only updated last year pre 20.04) and the Printer Utility which is from May this year.
        So far the printer only shows up as a Network printer rather than Local when connected via USB, which is very odd.
        That may be normal. A lot printers now support mobile printing from andorid and apple devices so they use a network driver. If it works, it works, just leave it.

Comment

Working...
        X