Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some advice for new hardware for my desktop.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some advice for new hardware for my desktop.

I need to get a new motherboard preferably Asus and I want either a Intel 10th Generation with integrated graphics or 3rd Generation AMD CPU with integrated graphics or APU just in case my video card goes bad. And speaking of video cards I heard AMD video cards have open sores drivers for them is this true and does the same go for their CPUs and APUs? (I'm also going to get a new GPU)
    BTW does Kubuntu 20.04 have graphics driver manager? The reason I ask is because when I ran Kubuntu 20.04 in Virtualbox I couldn't find the graphics driver manager. Was this because it knew it was being run a virtual machine?

Something else I want ask you. How well does Kubuntu 20.04 work with new hardware such as new Wi-Fi cards let's say an Intel wireless card?

One other thing the hardware I'm planning on getting I want to make sure it's at leas six months old.

Kubuntu does have a driver manager, it should still be in System Settings, but can also be accessed from the Software Sources applet from within Discover's settings,

AMD graphics cards have open drivers, with nothing extra to install
    (AMD do offer a 'pro' driver, but that is designed for commercial/professional workstation use, and actually is based on the free driver. it does not add anything extra for desktop and gaming uses)

Intel graphics are very Linux friendly so there should be no issues there - I have a 10tth gen i5 laptop and the integrated graphics work as expected.

Third gen Ryzen should be well supported in linux too, I have no idea on APUs to be honest, but it should work fine, though if the particular item is very recent, you may have to do some tweaks, I am sure.

As far as I can tell Intel wifi chips are still very well supported out of the box., outside of some possible rare outliers. I have bought numerous Intel wifi cards over the years, including in the past month, with absolutely zero research.
    I have had no issues to date.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Kubuntu does have a driver manager, it should still be in System Settings, but can also be accessed from the Software Sources applet from within Discover's settings,

AMD graphics cards have open drivers, with nothing extra to install
      (AMD do offer a 'pro' driver, but that is designed for commercial/professional workstation use, and actually is based on the free driver. it does not add anything extra for desktop and gaming uses)

Intel graphics are very Linux friendly so there should be no issues there - I have a 10tth gen i5 laptop and the integrated graphics work as expected.

Third gen Ryzen should be well supported in linux too, I have no idea on APUs to be honest, but it should work fine, though if the particular item is very recent, you may have to do some tweaks, I am sure.

As far as I can tell Intel wifi chips are still very well supported out of the box., outside of some possible rare outliers. I have bought numerous Intel wifi cards over the years, including in the past month, with absolutely zero research.
      I have had no issues to date.
      Cool thanks. I tried looking for the Driver Manger in the Application Launcher on Kubuntu 20.04 and could find it, but I can find it that way on Kubuntu 18.04 strange.

And I did a quick search for AMD Ryzen 3rd gen CPU on Linux and it looks it works with it. https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...cessors.16205/

Comment

Maybe try
        sudo apt install kubuntu-driver-manager
        If that doesn't work,
        sudo apt install software-properties-gtk
        should.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
          Cool thanks. I tried looking for the Driver Manger in the Application Launcher on Kubuntu 20.04 and could find it, but I can find it that way on Kubuntu 18.04 strange.

And I did a quick search for AMD Ryzen 3rd gen CPU on Linux and it looks it works with it. https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...cessors.16205/
          it was moved from being a System Settings applet that could also be run standalone to being a component of the Software Sources tool, as it now is no longer Kubuntu-specific , with Lubuntu now using LxQt. Both now use the same tool. it is no longer run as a standalone program, in System Settings it is just a link to open Software Sources with the driver manager tab in focus.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            it was moved from being a System Settings applet that could also be run standalone to being a component of the Software Sources tool, as it now is no longer Kubuntu-specific , with Lubuntu now using LxQt. Both now use the same tool. it is no longer run as a standalone program, in System Settings it is just a link to open Software Sources with the driver manager tab in focus.
            OK I see no wonder I couldn't find it. I see where it is in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWsw...outu.be&t=1068

Comment

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G in my Lenovo 510A and Kubuntu worked out of the box. The only thing I had to install was RTL8821ce-dkms for the Wireless/Bluetooth adaptor. It's nice to be able to run Flightgear again!
              Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I need to get a new motherboard preferably Asus and I want either a Intel 10th Generation with integrated graphics or 3rd Generation AMD CPU with integrated graphics or APU just in case my video card goes bad. And speaking of video cards I heard AMD video cards have open sores drivers for them is this true and does the same go for their CPUs and APUs? (I'm also going to get a new GPU)
                BTW does Kubuntu 20.04 have graphics driver manager? The reason I ask is because when I ran Kubuntu 20.04 in Virtualbox I couldn't find the graphics driver manager. Was this because it knew it was being run a virtual machine?

Something else I want ask you. How well does Kubuntu 20.04 work with new hardware such as new Wi-Fi cards let's say an Intel wireless card?

One other thing the hardware I'm planning on getting I want to make sure it's at leas six months old.
                I just built a new tower. My hardware worked out of the box.
                Ryzen 3600 cpu, Radeon Red Devil rx 5700 xt and even the new NVME ssd drives. I got tired of nVidia graphics cards not having the newest drivers on Linux, so I went with the Radeon. I run a dual boot with Kubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10.
                I chose a 570 motherboard because they have already updated the bios for the new Ryzen cpus. Earlier boards, you have to install an older cpu, update the bios, then install newer cpu. I didn't want to mess with it.
                I purchased an external wifi adapter that specifically said it worked with Linux. It was plug and play. I've had problems over the years with Linux and wifi. I gave up and got that adapter instead.

Comment

And speaking of video cards I heard AMD video cards have open sores drivers
                  After recently installing an AMD card, Ic an attest that is an accurate description of AMD drivers. The wounds will take a few weeks to heal.

Comment

Working...
                  X