X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Monitor Brightness and Color Temperature

Hi Everyone!

The issue is controlling the brightness of an external monitor from the software side. As I understand, the brightness control in Power Management only affects the brightness of a laptop screen (and that is what is the case on my system). I am using a laptop with two external monitors (monitors, not TVs), and when I change the brightness in Power Management, it changes the brightness of the laptop screen, but not the brightness of the two monitors.
    I found this thread, which seems to have the same problem and states that it used to work in Plasma 4.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...tor+brightness

I did find a Plasma widget that can change the monitor brightness (Brighty), and it also seems to work with DP (not only HDMI, as stated). However, I find its use a bit cumbersome and I don't like the fact that brightness can only be controlled for one monitor at a time and only using the mouse scroll wheel.
    However, the main issue is that it does not seem to work nicely with the Night Color widget. Night Color is great and I love it, but I still find the screen too bright for a dimly lit room at night. Unfortunately, as soon as I use Brighty to reduce the brightness, it resets the temperature setting (to the default of 6500K or something like that). And unfortunately, when I switch Night Color back on, it resets the screen brightness...
    I can change the brightness of the monitors manually with the built-in monitor hardware controls and that does not override Night Color, but that is a bit tedious.
    So, it appears to me that it is possible to change the brightness of external monitors on a software level and it is possible to change the brightness without affecting the color temperature, but I can't seem to find a way to do both in a convenient way.

Does anyone have a better solution for this?
    Thanks!

So, I found an ubuntu application that basically does what I need:
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/...ghtness-ubuntu
    It can control the brightness and RGB balance of all monitors (external and internal); of course it also does not play nice with Night Color, but it can do its own RGB balance. The only thing is that the presets are not as good in my opinion and I have not been able to replicate the color tone of Night Color (which I really like).
    But I will continue using it and see - so fare the best solution.

Comment

Working...
    X