X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PRINTER] 20.04 drivers for printer

Hi,

I just installed the new 20.04, and when trying to hook up my printer a Canon MP495. I get no choices in the list of drivers for hte 495 or any other MP drivers,
    There are a lot of Canon drivers just not for the MP series. Is this coming in the form of an update or the next point release. 18.04 did have the MP series of drivers available.

Thanks for any help.

What shows up under the "Recommended Drivers" list, without scrolling to the Canon section? Do you have at least the Generic driver? If so, have you tried it?
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Do you need to install a driver? A network attached printer might work without one. If the printer can't connect to your network, maybe you could plug it in to a router, as some routers support that.

I used to need a driver for my brother printer to get full functionality, but one day I had to do a reinstall and it just started working. Maybe there is a driver included in Linux, but I didn't do anything, not even "add printer".
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post
        What shows up under the "Recommended Drivers" list, without scrolling to the Canon section? Do you have at least the Generic driver? If so, have you tried it?
        Yes a Gutenprint driver showed up, I selected it, and clicked apply,. the circle spun for about 15 seconds, then window disappear, but still no printer added.

I'm not sure if you understood in my original post that, this printer has worked with every version of unbuntu or kubuntu for close to 8 years now. It used to be a 5 minute process.

I tried unplugging it and replugging, I ran out of options. Thank fully I don't need to print anything today but last month I was making copies of a lot of legal documents. I really need a working printer
        If I have to buy a new one I will, are there any recomendations od an inkjet that is guaranteed to work under 20.04? And Epson maybe , one with the bottle refill tanks?? Any hellp is apreciated

Comment

Can anyone verify that the Epson Expression ET-2750 EcoTank All-in-One Supertank Printer, will work under 20.04? Sorry for the larger text, but the message box won't let me adjust it to the normal size
          Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 27, 2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Hi,
            it is not only the Canon MP series. All Canon Pixma drivers are missing. I use a Canon Pixma MG 5750. Untill this 20.04 version of kubuntu it never was a problem. Now it is. Please fix the bug.
            Kind regards
            Sigurd

Comment

I found a fix. I went to the Muon package manager, and downloaded the Gutenprint-Cups drivers. then when I went to the printer settings, Chose Canon, and on the right sidethere was a choice to choose MP490 series, I chose that clicked apply and low and behold... My Canon Pixma is now working fine again.
              I'm not sure if this will solve all the printers out there as I down't have then to check but Gutenprint has never failed me. Give it a try & I hope this helps someone. New releases always have some minor bugs and tweaks that need to be resolved. So maybe I helped a little I hope, because I love this new version, & I always wanted to give something back to the community.
              Best of luck

Comment

Yes, for me and my printer I found a solution too. I could find the printer driver "cnijfilter2-source-5.20-1.tar.gz" . It is only for my printer Canon Pixma MG 5750. And I installed the debian file. This way my printer is working again. But this is not a solution for all the other people. And all the years before printer driver never have been a problem. I think an update is needed that includes all the missing printer driver.
                Kind regards
                Sigurd

Comment

If somebody reads this: I just installed 20.04. No driver for CANON Pixma MX 925.
                  I don't remember what I did. Or better: I don' t know what I did (happens quite often...). Connecting with a cable didn' t work. But when I connected the printer wireless to my modem (or router or whatever it' s named), it worked. It prints text and images.
                  So I'm afraid I can' t really help anybody, but at least I can give some hope for somebody desperate. And some Linux guru here maybe will be able to explain what I did.
                  (I was quite desperate, everywhere reading it simpy doesn' t work. Tried every solution, and indeed only this one worked.)

After some testing: prints testpage (from systemsettings), from LibreOffice, Gimp and Firefox. So I guess it works. Small problem: I can' t set the standard printer options in systemsettings. I can set them, but they aren' t saved. It' s printing in very high quality. But I can adjust that in the program I' m printing with.
                  Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Nov 16, 2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Just to pile on, my HP Deskjet 3755, did not want to work with any HP driver - from the repos or from HP. I removed all evidence of the "normal" drivers, pushed the wireless button on the printer and within a short time it was setup in Systems Settings and printing beautifully. I guess it's a "feature" of 20.04, and I'm not complaining!
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

A somewhat common bug:
                      The use of ippusbxd may be the culprit in some folks' printer woes. This thing makes USB connected printers seen and used as if they were network printers, ie no drivers required. Which expands hardware compatibility by leaps and bounds, I assume.

problem is, not 100% of printers (ie mainly old ones) will work this way. so uninstalling ippusbxd may work.
                      Another thing to look at, with auto-detection, is the printer likely may show up as a network printer, and this is the device to select if it shows up there, or there are multiple device choices

As network printing is driver-less, this may explain the lack of drivers to select in the printer settings. And for HP printers, seems to bypass all the HP GUI utilities since HPLIP can't detect the USB connected printer.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        As network printing is driver-less, this may explain the lack of drivers to select in the printer settings. And for HP printers, seems to bypass all the HP GUI utilities since HPLIP can't detect the USB connected printer.
                        Ah, I thought it was a miracle, without driver. I didn' t know wireless is always without driver.

Comment

There are standards for network printing:
                          https://openprinting.github.io/driverless/
                          https://openprinting.github.io/drive...nd-their-pdls/

I think the bug is when the printing system is calling for the IPPUSBXD method instead of using normal drivers, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            A somewhat common bug:
                            The use of ippusbxd may be the culprit in some folks' printer woes. This thing makes USB connected printers seen and used as if they were network printers, ie no drivers required. Which expands hardware compatibility by leaps and bounds, I assume.

problem is, not 100% of printers (ie mainly old ones) will work this way. so uninstalling ippusbxd may work.
                            Another thing to look at, with auto-detection, is the printer likely may show up as a network printer, and this is the device to select if it shows up there, or there are multiple device choices

That may be, but it's no excuse for an actual printer being directly connected to an actual PC. I went down several paths, including directly to CUPS without any vestige of an HP having been installed. I tried the repo HPLIP, which worked under 18.04.5 quite well. I tried about three different HP provisioned HPLIP resources, all failed. I tried going through System Settings -> Printers with and without HPLIP. It doesn't matter if ippusbxd is problematic, it's just wrong .
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Im not supporting the use of ippusb just describing a bug. Or attempting to, as well as some hopefully useful tips.

I don't think that the behavior being experienced is the expected one, especially as ippusb is not new to 20.04. I will guess its current implementation is new or very recent. There are more than enough reports on printer problems on Focal and this package seems to be quite a common culprit. Much like pipewire and timidity for sound problems.

Its probably systemd's fault. Only half joking tbh.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by claydoh; Nov 17, 2020, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X