This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP OfficeJet Pro 8035e compatibility.

Is the HP OfficeJet Pro 8035e compatible with Kubuntu 20.04.4? I know this printer is supposed to be compatible with Linux it say so I there website but sure hope it works with Kubuntu 20.04.4.
    I mean this printer came out a little over a year ago, so you think it would with most Linux distos.

Just out of curiosity, can you post a link to where it says on their website that it is "compatible with Linux"? I was looking at their website and this is all that I could find:
    Compatible operating systems

Windows 11; Windows 10; Windows 8; Windows Server; ChromeOS
    https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp...er#pdpOverview
    In the search for drivers, Linux was not listed as one of the operating systems in the drop down box.

Comment

NM i found it,
      Compatible Network Operating Systems Windows 10, 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), OS X v10.11 El Capitan, macOS Sierra v10.12 (previously OS X); macOS High Sierra v10.13, Linux, Chrome OS

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
        NM i found it,
        So does that mean it will only work wireless/WiFi? Or could I use it via USB?

Also there's this for driver support: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product...ment/c03785459

Comment

Check HP's HPLIP website for their support list
          https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-i..._devices/index

Search the page for '8030'

The min HPLIP version needed is 3.19.5, and 20.04 comes with 3.20, so things should work. Installing hplip-gui get you useful setup and usage tools.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Check HP's HPLIP website for their support list
            https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-i..._devices/index

Search the page for '8030'

The min HPLIP version needed is 3.19.5, and 20.04 comes with 3.20, so things should work. Installing hplip-gui get you useful setup and usage tools.
            Nice so HPLIP does come preinstalled? Also would I be able to use the printer with a USB connection?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post

Nice so HPLIP does come preinstalled? Also would I be able to use the printer with a USB connection?
              You should have the drivers for it already (via the base, preinstalled hplip package), but not the GUI tools. Over USB it probably will Just Work ootb after you plug it in, and check that it is detected and set up in System Settings

But to be sure, I'd suggest uninstalling the package ippusbxd if you are having odd problems. This package allows for USB printers to be used like wireless ones -- aka no driver required. Most recent printers support this, but not all do. Safe to remove, for sure. It has been known to be problematic for some 20.04 systems, mainly on older printers.

If you install hplip-gui, you will have numerous graphical setup, print, and scanning support tools. These are completely optional, if you don't need or want them.

I any scanning support will be included already, even without the GUI bits, so Skanlite and Xsane should work ootb as well.

With the GUI, even setting up wireless for the printer should be pretty easy.
              Last edited by claydoh; Jul 18, 2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

You should have the drivers for it already (via the base, preinstalled hplip package), but not the GUI tools. Over USB it probably will Just Work ootb after you plug it in, and check that it is detected and set up in System Settings

But to be sure, I'd suggest uninstalling the package ippusbxd if you are having odd problems. This package allows for USB printers to be used like wireless ones -- aka no driver required. Most recent printers support this, but not all do. Safe to remove, for sure. It has been known to be problematic for some 20.04 systems, mainly on older printers.

If you install hplip-gui, you will have numerous graphical setup, print, and scanning support tools. These are completely optional, if you don't need or want them.

I any scanning support will be included already, even without the GUI bits, so Skanlite and Xsane should work ootb as well.

With the GUI, even setting up wireless for the printer should be pretty easy.
                Thanks I really appreciate. So sudo apt remove ippusbxd then?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post

Thanks I really appreciate. So sudo apt remove ippusbxd then?
                  Yup, or via Muon/Synaptic.

Comment

Yup, or via Muon/Synaptic.
                    Cool BTW do I need to follow these directions to?

1 sudo apt install hplip-gui

2 hp-plugin

3 hp-doctor (to ensure everything is installed properly, especially the plugin)

4 hp-setup to add the connected device, or use the HP's software (with graphical interface), already installed at this point.

5 Go to Ubuntu System Settings and add a new printer/scanner with HPLIP.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1056...and-or-scanner

Comment

Probably just Step 0 -- plug it in via USB
                      Then, step 0.5 - look at System Setting to see if the printer is there, autodetected and autoconfigured.
                      Next, Step 0.8 Open a scanning app (Skanlite, or Xsane) and see if it discovers your scanner
                      if both are successful, you are done, if you want.

Then Step 1 if you want to, or things don't work. The GUI should provide all the functions that the commandline stuff does, if I recall. It has been ages since I used HPLIP GUI, even when I have had HP printers
                      Other steps can be used if there are further issues.

People like to over-answer, just in case. Or be ooberleet CommandLine Commander knowitalls
                      I can over-answer, myself, quite often

Comment

Working...
                      X