This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Support for 20.04

I have a GeForce GTX 1650 Super card in my Kubuntu 20.04 box. I also have a Windows 10 VM running. My question is whether my video card has 3D capabilities. I ask because when I try to run LDPlayer4 in the VM, is says that 3D capacity is not there, and it shuts down the VM. Does the card not support 3D? If it does, is there a BIOS setting I need to change to activate it?

I did try to ask NVIDIA about this. The agent with whom I chatted seemed to be saying that I'm screwed and that no new video card will solve the problem. I'm skeptical about that. I did gather that the card I have now won't do the trick. Fair enough. Then the question is whether there is a card that will. (I want the capability because I want to use Play Magnus on my PC, and that requires LDPlayer4 (or some similar program). I've been playing chess since I was 5. I'm now 76, and I'm still a lousy player, but I enjoy the game. The sad part is that my first father was a nationally ranked player. Those genes did not pass.)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Don; Dec 17, 2021, 02:59 PM. Reason: Video Cards with 3D support

Is this helpful?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi, Snowhog. Thanks for such a fast reply. I think that article would help except for one problem. When I go into NVIDIA Settings, there is no entry in the navigation pane for 3D settings. I gather there should be. I can try upgrading the driver (I'm using 470, and 490 is out), but when I tried that a few months ago, 490 seemed to mess things up. I'll run update all and then try the other driver and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

To be clear, you don't have (access to) 3D graphics in Kubuntu and the Windows VM?

Comment

I don't do anything in Kubuntu that would use 3D graphics. I don't even know how to check whether it is available. A quick search didn't turn up any way to do it. The only reason I need the 3D graphics on the Windows VM is for Play Magnus. Otherwise almost all of my use is word processing and legal research--not exactly riveting, but they get me through the day.

Comment

Generally, 3D graphics in a VM has to be emulated, if possible, and that assumes that the video card is capable of providing 3D to the host OS. In the Windows VM, did you specify/enable 3D support?

Comment

I enabled "Accelerated 3D Graphics." Is that the same as "3D support"? It's the only setting I see under "Display" that concerns 3D.

Comment

Yes. Also worth checking is how much video RAM you allotted to the VM. Assuming the VM can emulate 3D, if the video RAM is too low, it might not be able to do so. A guess.

Comment

It has 1GB allocated. The VM has 32GB, so I suppose I can up the video GB. Could that be the problem? If so, what should I bump it up to?
                  I really appreciate the time you're taking on this.

Comment

You could easily bump it up to 4GB; even 8GB. Try it. It's a VM, so you aren't risking anything. The settings can always be changed back.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and report back.

Comment

It's a long story, with which I shall not bother you. The short story is that I could only bump up the video GB to 2; that's all the choice VMware gave me. So I horsed around a lot looking for 3D, including in the BIOS, eventually reaching a point where none of my VM's would boot at all, including clones that worked fine when I originally made them. I ended up clearing the CMOS. Now my virtual machines work. LDplayer4, which I was trying to use as an Android emulator, still screwed everything up, so I have uninstalled it and am going to try Bluestacks. At least, after 24 hours, I'm back to where I was at the beginning. The one thing I did notice as I booted up the VM is it did not flash the warning about 3D being unavailable. This is progress . . . maybe.

Comment

I've learned some things. Apparently a VM cannot run an Android emulator, so I was barking up a non-existent tree. I do now know that VT-X is enabled on my mobo, so I'm trying to find an emulator that will run on my Linux box. I've run into some trouble, but I've made that a different topic. This one is solved? Sort of.

Comment

• Snowhog
                            Snowhog commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm closing this thread then. If you decide that you want to have it opened later, just let me know.
                        Working...
                        X