This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gaming headset that supports Linux well

My Logitech headset is starting to show its age. I don't even use it for gaming. I Skype often with people in other countries for the purpose of helping them with their English and them helping me with my French. Plus, I work in tech taking phone calls as my day job.

In my Skype calls, I've noticed that my web cam has a better quality microphone than my headset, so I use that one. It would be nice to have a better quality headset, one that's more comfortable and has a better quality Microphone. I've been considering a gaming headset even though I don't plan to do online gaming. I just want something of high quality.

I know that just because a headset works well with Windows does not guarantee that it will work well with Linux. In fact, there is a headset I was really interested in until I read reviews that said its sound quality is much lower in Linux than in Windows.

So I did a web search for gaming headsets that work well with Linux and found this link:

https://www.addictivetips.com/buying...headset-linux/

The first headset on the list is a Razor and then the next two are Logitech. I could insist on getting the exact model of either of those brands listed, as the article says it does well with Linux. However, in some cases there's a later model. In other cases, it's harder to get that exact model, as it's been replaced by a later one. Could I safely just get either a Razor brand or a Logitech brand headset? Are both these companies well respected for their Linux support in general? If that were the case, it would open up many more options for me. Also on the list are the brands SteelSeries and Corsair. Unlike Razor and Logitech, I've never heard of these brands, but maybe they're good.

If anyone has any advice on how to get a good quality headset for my Linux PC, I'm all ears. My price range is about between $55 and $150.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

If you get one with 3.5mm jacks then you don't have to worry about compatibility, it's only if you get USB or wireless. I don't see what the benefit of paying over $100 for a headset is unless it massages your back as well. I got a perfectly good one (creative fatal1ty, I think it's discontinued though) for what translates to $30.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
      If you get one with 3.5mm jacks then you don't have to worry about compatibility, it's only if you get USB or wireless. I don't see what the benefit of paying over $100 for a headset is unless it massages your back as well. I got a perfectly good one (creative fatal1ty, I think it's discontinued though) for what translates to $30.
      Noise cancellation, better mics, and of course the potential for better sound clarity/quality. But you don't need to spend big bucks for that, though.

My two recent purchases (this past May):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one is actually one of the more comfortable headsets I have ever had, after a few days usage. Sound quality is good, though the mic does have that somewhat 'tinny' sound gaming headsets seem to like. Works perfectly for chatting/phone.
      It is USB, but the headphones actually plug into an USB audio dongle. It is supposed to have virtual surround sound, but that doesn't seem work in Linux, last I checked (or there is no useful way to control or check it). Plugging these into my PC via 3.5mm jack, the sound quality goes down - but that is more related to my computer's on-board audio.
      Seems solid and well built. I use these daily, but almost never for chat.

Not a gaming headset, but:
      https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...225_usb_c.html
      This one I got for a short-lived phone-based job.
      It is USB-C, so I can use it on my phone, or use a 3.5mm jack. The mic quality is much better here, and the USB dongle provides noise cancellation that works very well - tested via my aircon being an arm's length from my desk. Audio quality is fine, but it definitely is geared toward speech. While not flimsy, this type of headset is not going to be as rugged, and is more comfortable in all-day work type situations.
      Last edited by claydoh; Nov 09, 2021, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Yes your razor or logitech headphones should work some features (like for razor you will may not have full rgb light controls) may not work w/o installing some support tools or at all. A USB Headset is your best option. Bluetooth will usually work just fine however there are often some issues with latency. and some bluetooth modes that your device supports like the HQ stereo with HQ Mic input are just not supported at this time by one or any of the several layers that the audio takes to user space.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X