This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dictionary widget refuses to be resized KDE5 Ubuntu

Once I began using the Dictionary widget on an 'Activities' page, its dimensions cannot be changed (made smaller), although most of the returned word definitions take up less than half of the widget window area. Why is this? Thanks...

OOTB you can resize it, but one can't make it smaller. To get the resize handles one long-presses the widget.

However, you can hack the plasmoid. The file /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma_applet_dict/contents/ui/main.qml has two numbers, 400 and 40, and if you make them smaller, the widget starts smaller.

Now one is supposed to not change stuff in /usr/share/plasma, instead fork the widget to ~/.local/share/plasmoids/newname, according to thisPlasma Widget Tutorial, but I couldn't get it to work.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      OOTB you can resize it, but one can't make it smaller. To get the resize handles one long-presses the widget.
      Long-pressing on the Dictionary widget does nothing for me. It appears that the window size is fixed by the developer, so tweaking the qml file may be the only way to resize it.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Long-pressing on the Dictionary widget does nothing for me. It appears that the window size is fixed by the developer, so tweaking the qml file may be the only way to resize it.
        You don't get the resize handles at all? I see them here, though the width can't be shrunk down very far.

In Plasma 5.18 and 5.24 the widget has a definitely large minimum width than can't be shrunk without modifying the qml code. The height can be adjusted just fine.

On Plasma 5.25 and up, instead of a long skinny sliver, it defaults to a smaller square that is much better sized, but still has a defined minimum set.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230206_175010.png Views:	0 Size:	221.8 KB ID:	668339

Of course, this isn't coming to Kubuntu 20.04, which I am reminded by the notification only has a short lifespan left now
        22.04 LTS won't see this either, at least not for a bit, IF they move ahead with further Plasma upgrades there, once 22.10 has reached EOL.
        Last edited by claydoh; Feb 06, 2023, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          You
          Nope. To be clear, if it makes a difference, I tried the widget on 22.10, Plasma 5.25.5

Comment

Nope. To be clear, if it makes a difference, I tried the widget on 22.10, Plasma 5.25.5
            That is where my screenshot was taken.

Comment

Where, if it matters; I tried multiple spots; did you long-press on?

Comment

Where, if it matters; I tried multiple spots; did you long-press on?

Anywhere, really. You can see where the hand/cursor happened to be when I took the screenshot.

For a widget on the desktop it should not matter where you click.

I assume you can still move and delete widgets just fine after a long left click?

Comment

Maybe it’s because I added the widget to the Panel, not the Desktop? I’ll add it to the Desktop and try again.

Comment

Maybe it’s because I added the widget to the Panel, not the Desktop?
                    Yup.

Comment

Yes. Widget on the Desktop is resizable (long-press).

Comment

Working...
                      X