Hi everyone!
I've recently moved back from Kubuntu 24.04.5 to 26.04.1 to see if some of the issues I encountered when I first tried 26.04 have been fixed.
I always make a full system image with Rescuezilla before upgrading or changing versions, so I can easily go back to 24.04.5 if needed. That's actually what I did after my first attempt with 26.04.
I'm still using X11 exclusively. I've tried Wayland again, but some of the problems I reported here on the forum some time ago are still present, so for now I'm sticking with X11.
Anyway, while testing 26.04.1, I noticed something strange with Thunderbird and the automatic screen and power management.
I'm using Thunderbird installed through Schwarzer Kater's excellent script:
https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...al-thunderbird
I also use Birdtray to keep Thunderbird in the system tray. I initially thought it might be involved, but after testing with Birdtray out of the picture, I was able to rule it out.
By the way, I've also updated Birdtray and got it working properly with my current setup. I'll share the details in a separate post.
The problem is that whenever Thunderbird plays my custom WAV notification sound for a new email, the X11 idle timer seems to reset, even though I haven't touched the keyboard or mouse.
I noticed this because the monitors weren't turning off when expected, and automatic suspension was sometimes being delayed.
After quite a few tests, with some help from ChatGPT to monitor xprintidle, examine the system logs and compare the results, we managed to narrow it down quite a bit.
Here's what I've found so far:
So it doesn't seem to be simply the WAV file or audio playback in general. It looks more like something related to how Thunderbird handles custom notification sounds, although I can't say for certain what's causing it.
One important detail: I never experienced this behaviour on Kubuntu 24.04.5, where I was also using Thunderbird installed as a traditional .deb package, not Snap.
I haven't tested the Snap version of Thunderbird on 26.04.1, so I don't know whether it behaves the same way. And, to be honest, I don't plan to test it unless I really have to. I prefer to avoid Snap whenever possible.
Also, just to clarify, Thunderbird isn't permanently blocking suspension. What I've actually observed is the idle timer being reset when the custom sound plays, which can delay whatever actions depend on that timer.
For now, I've left Thunderbird using its default notification sound, and everything seems to be working normally.
I'm happy to run further tests or provide logs if that helps.
Thanks everyone!
PS: I don't know if this is the best subforum for this post...
I've recently moved back from Kubuntu 24.04.5 to 26.04.1 to see if some of the issues I encountered when I first tried 26.04 have been fixed.
I always make a full system image with Rescuezilla before upgrading or changing versions, so I can easily go back to 24.04.5 if needed. That's actually what I did after my first attempt with 26.04.
I'm still using X11 exclusively. I've tried Wayland again, but some of the problems I reported here on the forum some time ago are still present, so for now I'm sticking with X11.
Anyway, while testing 26.04.1, I noticed something strange with Thunderbird and the automatic screen and power management.
I'm using Thunderbird installed through Schwarzer Kater's excellent script:
https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...al-thunderbird
I also use Birdtray to keep Thunderbird in the system tray. I initially thought it might be involved, but after testing with Birdtray out of the picture, I was able to rule it out.
By the way, I've also updated Birdtray and got it working properly with my current setup. I'll share the details in a separate post.
The problem is that whenever Thunderbird plays my custom WAV notification sound for a new email, the X11 idle timer seems to reset, even though I haven't touched the keyboard or mouse.
I noticed this because the monitors weren't turning off when expected, and automatic suspension was sometimes being delayed.
After quite a few tests, with some help from ChatGPT to monitor xprintidle, examine the system logs and compare the results, we managed to narrow it down quite a bit.
Here's what I've found so far:
- With my custom WAV selected in Thunderbird, the xprintidle counter resets when the notification sound plays.
- If I switch Thunderbird to its default notification sound, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem.
- Playing that same WAV file with Audacious doesn't reset the idle timer either.
- I've also tested without Birdtray running, and it doesn't appear to be responsible.
So it doesn't seem to be simply the WAV file or audio playback in general. It looks more like something related to how Thunderbird handles custom notification sounds, although I can't say for certain what's causing it.
One important detail: I never experienced this behaviour on Kubuntu 24.04.5, where I was also using Thunderbird installed as a traditional .deb package, not Snap.
I haven't tested the Snap version of Thunderbird on 26.04.1, so I don't know whether it behaves the same way. And, to be honest, I don't plan to test it unless I really have to. I prefer to avoid Snap whenever possible.
Also, just to clarify, Thunderbird isn't permanently blocking suspension. What I've actually observed is the idle timer being reset when the custom sound plays, which can delay whatever actions depend on that timer.
For now, I've left Thunderbird using its default notification sound, and everything seems to be working normally.
I'm happy to run further tests or provide logs if that helps.
Thanks everyone!
PS: I don't know if this is the best subforum for this post...






Comment