This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loading wicd with KpackageKit fails

My problem is resolved, but I'm reporting this problem with Kpackage so that the release maintainers/developers are aware of the problem. I know this is a forum and not a bug reporting
    system. Is there a better way to report the problem?

A friend's laptop running Windows Vista totally failed and she asked me to 'make it work'. I'm not a
    windows guy, but I tried the restore disks and they also failed (several times). I've loaded up Linux and the laptop is running fine.

However, she uses wireless at home and when travelling and needs the wireless connection to work. Someone had recommended wicd to me. I have it loaded on my own laptop and it has worked great for me. I tried to install it with Kpackage kit and go the following error:

A package dependency could not be found.
    More information is available in the detailed report.

Detail:

Remove the package plasma-widget-networkmanagement before

I removed plasma-widget-networkmanagement and tried again only to have it report that the networkmanagement must be removed. I removed that and another problem showed up. The net result was that I could not load wicd and the existing network manager was ruined. I re-installed Kubuntu from the CDROM and now I'm back to my original error message.

Rather than battle with Kpackage again, I installed adept and it installed wicd with no trouble. And all is well.

Re: Loading wicd with KpackageKit fails

https://launchpad.net/

After you create an account there you can log in and report your bug. Collect as much info as you can about it, and be as specific as you can about the error msgs.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have reported the bug. Thank you for the help

Jim

Comment

KPackagekit prior to the version that came with Maverick Meerkat 10.10 was not that good. It didn't handle package dependancies as well as it should. The bug report will likely not be acted on.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X