X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Settings > Display changes screen resolution, breaks X

Hi -

I've been running Kubuntu Karmic happily for several months. I recently did a long-overdue system update, after which my monitor no longer honored the power saving settings. This has happened before, and I've just needed to open the Display settings and re-save them. This time, when I opened the Display settings, my monitor blanked with the message "Input signal out of range" and I had to kill and restart X.

I looked around online to see if anyone had this exact problem, but I didn't see any forum posts or bug reports that helped me (I did see some reports of X crashing when opening the Display settings).

It looks like the problem is that the Display settings application is resetting my screen resolution from 1280x1024 to 800x600 and my monitor (IBM L170) will not accept the new signal. My video card is an NVidia GeForce 6150 LE.

Code:
    $ xrandr > xrandr.before
    $ sleep 30 && xrandr > xrandr.after
    [Open System Settings and click on Display, wait, restart X]
    $ head -2 xrandr.before
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024
    default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
    $ head -2 xrandr.after
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 800 x 600, maximum 1280 x 1024
    default connected 800x600+0+0 0mm x 0mm
    Has anyone run into this (or a similar) problem and have any advice?

Thanks!

--Keith

Re: System Settings > Display changes screen resolution, breaks X

Hi,

it would help to know which video driver is in use (NVidia non-free or something else) ? I don't think xrandr is of any use with the NVidia driver.

Do you have a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, if so please post the content here, or better try to move it out of the way and reboot the computer :

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
    If your X session fails you can put the file back from the command line and reboot :

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo reboot
    Freedom often comes at a price, doesn't mean you can buy it.

Comment

Working...
    X