This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Resizing video

Got a new offspring and want to send video to the grandparents. I've got a 1 minute clip taken with my Lumix TZ7 I'd like to send, but it's 236MB, 1200xsomething and in .mov format. Basically I'd like to shrink it to Youtube size and quality and be able to send it as an attachment to my VERY non-techy parents. I've tried Kdenlive (crashed while playing .mov file), Avidemux (plays file, allows me to trim, but I can't figure out resizing), Iriverter (successfully converts file to .avi, but only resizes to 220x176 and quality is poor).

I saw one of Nixiepixel's youtube videos where she talks about ffmpeg, but she only gives one example and doesn't explain the difference between video codec, audio codec, and wrapper settings. ffmpeg seems like the tool I want to use but like many command line tools, there are so many choices I don't know where to begin. I've read Howard Pritchett's excellent tutorial on ffmpeg at http://howto-pages.org/ffmpeg/ but it still doesn't answer my questions. I tried using winff, a GUI frontend for ffmpeg, but it crashes as soon as I try to load a clip.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Matt

Re: Resizing video

...Avidemux (plays file, allows me to trim, but I can't figure out resizing)...
    > How to Edit Video With Avidemux
    To resize or crop the video, choose (from the left sidebar) something other than Copy from the Video drop-down menu (a codec such as Xvid4, DVD, MPEG-2 or H.263). Then click Filters. Double click on Crop and choose number of pixels to remove, or double click on MPlayer resize and choose pixel height and width (for ratios such as 4:3 or 16:9 remember to click Apply as well).
    More:
    > Avidemux Home
    > Avidemux wiki
    > Avidemux wiki documentation

I saw one of Nixiepixel's youtube videos where she talks about ffmpeg,...
    > FFmpeg:
    FFmpeg is a computer program that can record, convert and stream digital audio and video in numerous formats. FFmpeg is a command line tool that is composed of a collection of free software...
    There are frontends but i would use the Avidemux if the input/output formats are suitable...
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Resizing video

Thanks so much Rog, got the video down to 14 MB and posted it on Flickr. You've made some grandparents VERY happy.

Comment

Working...
      X