This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"sources.list" will not save.

Hi, I recently installed Kubuntu 9.10, and I'm kind of a Linux newbie. I am trying to install TOR (torproject.org) and the instructions for Linux installation say to add a line to "/etc/apt/sources.list." This sounded easy enough - I opened up Kate and pasted the text. Unfortunately, I couldn't save it. Would editing it as root help? If it would, could somebody explain to me how to edit the file as root?

Re: "sources.list" will not save.

Code:
    kdesudo kate <filename>
    Or look for an "Edit as Root..." command in your filemanager

Comment

Re: &quot;sources.list&quot; will not save.

That's a 'root' owned file. It has to be edited 'as root' in order for changes to be saved.

You can launch Kate as root. Press Alt+F2 and type:
      Code:
      kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

You're welcome. And welcome to KFN.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Separating users tasks and ownerships from root tasks and ownerships is part of what makes Linux MUCH MORE secure than Windows. Say, by some miracle a hacker got into your home account but didn't know your password, he couldn't edit sources.list, just like you can't without using sudo and your password. Some folks/distros separate root totally from the user and require a login to root to do admin work. In fact, that's the way it used to be before Debian introduced sudo.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Separating users tasks and ownerships from root tasks and ownerships is part of what makes Linux MUCH MORE secure than Windows. Say, by some miracle a hacker got into your home account but didn't know your password, he couldn't edit sources.list, just like you can't without using sudo and your password. Some folks/distros separate root totally from the user and require a login to root to do admin work. In fact, that's the way it used to be before Debian introduced sudo.
              Great info!

Comment

Working...
              X