This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: Two start bars since KDE 4.2.2 installation

Since I installed KDE 4.2.2 (on Karmic) 2 days ago, I have 2 start bars. (Pardon the Winoze terminology.) I don't know what they are called in KDE, but they seem to be related to the Desktop and Plasma, the latter of which I have not mastered at all.

I right-clicked on one and chose delete this desktop, or something like that. I deleted the new one and with it went my desktop background. I've restored that, but I have a lingering feeling there might have been a better way to do it.

Suggestions?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Two start bars since KDE 4.2.2 installation

The correct terminology for what you I think you are describing is the panel.

With widgets unlocked, right clicking on the panel or anything within the panel gives you the option to remove it.

Comment

With the widgets unlocked the novice user can easily install multiple copies of any plasmoid.

Like Liquidator says, with the right mouse click they are easy to remove and easy to reinstall if one inadvertently removes the only copy! Don't let it concern you.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        With the widgets unlocked the novice user can easily install multiple copies of any plasmoid.
        You mean the start bar is a plasmoid? Is that anything like a klingon?

Thanks.
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Re: SOLVED: Two start bars since KDE 4.2.2 installation

Plasmoids or applets or widgets or what ever the name-dejour is today.

IOW, anything you can install on your desktop by right mousing on an unlocked desktop and choosing "Add Widgets".
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

How can I learn about this? Where is the doc for plasma? I can't find any in Google.

Also, where is the widget/plasmoid/klingon which shows a small image divided into as many boxes as the number of desktops and which allows one to navigate among desktops? I cannot find it with "Add widget".

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
              Also, where is the widget/plasmoid/klingon which shows a small image divided into as many boxes as the number of desktops and which allows one to navigate among desktops? I cannot find it with "Add widget".
              It's called "Pager", filter for it in "add widget"

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                It's called "Pager", filter for it in "add widget"
                Thanks, found it.

If you don't know what it's called this week, you can't find it. Since when was a desktop referred to as a page? Very frustrating.

You didn't tell me where the doc is...

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
                  If you don't know what it's called this week, you can't find it. Since when was a desktop referred to as a page? Very frustrating.
                  The filter should also parse widget descriptions, so if you filter for "desktop", the pager should show up (hovering over a widget will give a short description)

You didn't tell me where the doc is
                  Offline: There's a plasma handbook in kmenu>help
                  Online: KDE userbase, these should get you started:
                  http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma
                  http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ
                  http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma/FAQ/4.4/Configuration

Comment

Working...
                  X