X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ark and protected archives

Hello Everybody,

I have been trying forever to unrar a file packed in 3 rar-archives protected by a password. But whenever I open one of the archives with Ark nothing really happens. Ark starts and says it is loading the archive, but that's it. 7zip under Windows handles the same archive just fine, so I know it is not defect. The same goes for every archive with multiple parts.

Any suggestions?

regards

Kane

Re: ark and protected archives

Do you have p7zip or p7zip-full or p7zip-rar installed?

Comment

Have you tried to unpack the archive from the command line instead of using Ark?

Comment

hii Senator Kane ! had the same issue a few days back.. please do the below:-
        please type this in terminal:
        sudo apt-get install p7zip-rar unrar
        You'll need to enable the multiverse repository in Software Sources if you haven't already

after that just right click on the file and start extracting

Comment

Ark doesn't work very well with protected 7z or rar. You have to use terminal to extract them. Using ark with aforementioned protected archives will simply hang the process. I speculate that ark failed to create a dialogue window for password prompt.
          HP ProBook 4310s - ATI Radeon Mobility 4330 - pae kernel<br /><br />http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hii senator kane.. please do what i said in my previous post.... things will work out definitely

Comment

thank you for your quick responses. Alas, I still can't unpack the archive.
              I installed p7zip-rar and the other packages mentioned, but Ark still causes the same, problem and "right-click-> extract here" does not respond at all.

what to do?

Comment

command line did the trick

Code:
                unrar e archive.rar
                extracted to archive to the current location.

although I still would like to see a GUI solution for this.

regards,

kane

Comment

I haven't tested it on a p7zip archive, but xarchiver does a pretty good job in a GUI environment.

Comment

Dear senator kane ! did you install "p7zip-rar" and "unrar" too. I had suggested the command
                    sudo apt-get install p7zip-rar unrar

The gui wont work unless you install unrar too.. suggest you to use this command and it will definitely work.

Comment

Ark, even latest one according to their devs doesn't handle password archives, you need to resort to command line and there is no other way. Even with p7zip full, rar and unrar installed.

Comment

I'd like to share my experiences with 7zip

When you install p7zip or p7zip-full by CLI in terminal or by any package manager, you can use it with all its features but in Gnome and Nautilus together.
                        To be in picture - you can use it by right button click on a file or on selection of files and chosing compress. Then you can select 7z format, set password, set to create more volumes and how large the volumes should be etc. It works perfect in gnome and Nautilus.

I've tested p7zip in KDE of Kubuntu 10.10. Unfortunately it didn't work with all those features like: I couldn't in Dolphine file manager to set the size of volumes as well as to set the password >
                        Ok, let's try to install nautilus in KDE. Hmm, nice idea but - didn't work also >

While browsing the net (and browsing really very long to find any useful tip) I've found some CLI tips but now I won't write more about CLI, however you can type in terminal 7z -h for help how to use it.

After any longer time I've finally found a tip of downloading peazip but older version (althoug the current is 3.4) so I've tried to use that trick but setting the latest version number :P

Yep ! It worked perfectly ! All the magic is - to type this in terminal:

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pea...GTK2-2_all.deb

When a newer version is on, just try the same but change the actual number in that command, it should work.

After downloading the peazip.deb you can find it in your home folder (e.g. /home/elisa/...) where you have just to click on it due it's the .deb file

After successful all dependencies control and successful installation you can look it up in your menu typing peazip or run in terminal

peazip &

* One additional note: when you create a 7z archive(s) and wanna test it, in KDE is native archive tool Ark. But Ark has some problems to open it - was opening too long, don't know why...

If you'll have the same problem, simply install to KDE "file-roller".
                        It's cool tool as well as the peazip which works very well in KDE (gnome users won't need it).

Enjoy! 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X