X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with KpackageKit

Hi!
    There is a quite peculiar issue which I am facing.. i can use synaptic and software center perfectly .. but whenever I use kPack after the upgrade to kde4.4... it opens , i select the package in kpack and after that it says "you dont have sufficient privileges to do that operation."

(I use Kubuntu Karmic and upgraded to KDE 4.4 recently.. I guess this issue started after that.. but I am not very sure)

Re: Issue with KpackageKit

I happen to be having the same problem, good thing I checked first before I did anything. I use the same OS & KDE versions, just in case it doesn't appear in the signature. I'm semi-new to Kubuntu myself, have been updating as soon as updates are available and then got the same problem. I've attempted to fix permissions in the PolicyKit Authorization preference in System Settings (org.freedesktop > The PackageKit Project > Update Packages), but I can't do anything to it.

I've been able to get bug fixes through Konsole by using the "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" commands, but that's it. Is there another way to get updates unless/until this error is fixed, or is there a solution we novices don't know of?

(This is my first post, be nice! )
    System Information: I use Lucid Lynx (v10.04) installed on Parallels Desktop 5.0. My computer is a MacBook Pro (mid-2009 model) with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor running Mac OS X v10.6.3.

Comment

Did you try
      Code:
      kdesudo kpackagekit

Comment

[tries, appears to work]

Thanks for that. Is there some sort of bug that popped up with Software Update or something? Because this never happened prior to a particular upgrade (forgot which one).

I'll have to keep that code in mind until there's a proper fix, if that is the problem.
        System Information: I use Lucid Lynx (v10.04) installed on Parallels Desktop 5.0. My computer is a MacBook Pro (mid-2009 model) with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor running Mac OS X v10.6.3.

Comment

Do your self a favor and stop using Kpackagekit. Sorry (developers), but as a package manager it simply sucks. :P

Install Synaptic instead. A far superior package manager.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hii skunk.. nonlocal.. kdesudo does work when you run that through alt+f2.. but i tried using the menu editor and inserting kdesudo in the command line.. so that it looked something like this "kdesudo kpackagekit"... However after doing that when i click on Kpack in the menu I get an additional pop up saying KDEINT could not launch 'usr/bin/kdesudo'.. is that not strange.

Comment

bump!

Comment

There have been issues with Kdesudo at times, that being the command by which you run graphical applications as root. However, that seems now to be fixed (at least on my machine).

KPackagekit is at best a work in progress and to the average user is best avoided IMHO. As Snowhog suggests you are best sticking with synaptic, or adept, which are both far better options.

HTH

Ian

Comment

Yes, Adept is waaaaaay better than KPackage**** (oops, I mean KPackageKit :P). No seriously, Adept is better. But KPackageKit is coming along nicely if you look at KPackageKit in 10.04
                  Nonetheless, it still lacks some features that Adept has.
                  Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

To repeat snowhog:
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install synaptic
                    More:
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Nah, I stay with KPackageKit for looking up a package, installing removing I do via Adept again.

I only use Synaptic if I want to lock a version or when I want to remove residual config.
                      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Working...
                      X