X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veetle with Firefox

Hello

I have been trying to install the Veetle Plugin in mine 64bits Kubuntu, but I can't make it work.

Is there anyone that already have installed it? How?

Thanks

Re: Veetle with Firefox

It is working on 64-bit ArchLinux and there is no reason why it shouldn't on Kubuntu. Here is how:

Not sure whether you've got to untar it first, but I seem to remember that it is just an executable file. So:

1. make it executable - chmod +x path-to-file/name-of-file
    2. run it - sh path-to-file/name-of-file

That should do it
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
      It is working on 64-bit ArchLinux and there is no reason why it shouldn't on Kubuntu. Here is how:

Not sure whether you've got to untar it first, but I seem to remember that it is just an executable file. So:

1. make it executable - chmod +x path-to-file/name-of-file
      2. run it - sh path-to-file/name-of-file

That should do it
      I think that is too much for me, but I'll give it try.
      Thanks

Comment

Well, let us know if you run into problems.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hi

I can't use it... Crap...

Comment

Hi both,

I'm having the same problem (I think) -- any help appreciated.

I downloaded the .sh from the Veetle website -- version 0.9.17

-->made it executable (chmod +x)
            -->ran it (sh)

EULA scrolled fine, installed to the default suggestions....

But when I go to the Veetle website, it tells me I still need to install the thing. So I guess it's not finding the plugin? Why would that be? My firefox isn't installed anywhere screwy...

Thanks.

Comment

From a post on LinuxQuestions.org:
              I am using Linux Mint and just installed Veetle in just a few steps. Linux Mint is really Ubuntu in a different look so this should work for Ubuntu also.

In the terminal first cd to the directory where you have the Veetle file.
              Then do this: chmod +x veetle-0.9.17-linux-install.sh
              Then do this: sh veetle-0.9.17-linux-install.sh
              The install will start.
              You will have to go through the terms of agreement by hitting 'enter' about a dozen or more times and then it will finish up.
              Exit out, start Firefox and enjoy.
              The above is the latest version of Veetle that I used. Any newer versions should make the necessary changes but the steps should be the same.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I sent Veetle.com a message concerning their Windows-centric download/installing page. Even though you get to specify Linux, the page detailing the download and installation procedures is written for Windows users! :P

Comment

Hi Snowhog,

thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, the instructions you post from linuxquestions.org are exactly what I did -- and it still doesn't work! Must be something screwy about my system setup -- I'll have to try and work it out...

Thanks anyway. And good work badgering them about the installer instructions!

Comment

From the Veetle.com How To Install Veetle TV page:

Disabled Plugins

Your Internet browser may have disabled Veetle TV. Veetle TV is actually comprised of three mini plugins. Their names are Veetle Broadcaster Plugin, Veetle TV Core, and Veetle TV Player. You will need to re-enable all of them. In Internet Explorer, hit the Alt key to reveal the menu at the top. Choose Tools > Manage Add-ons. In the dropdown list on the left of this Add-on manager, select All add-ons. Ctrl + click on all Veetle plugins and then click the enable all button.
                    Again, Windows-centric information. :P Still, you might check the plugins in FF to ensure that they/it are/is actually enabled.

Comment

Hmm, that's helpful, thanks -- insofar as the veetle stuff doesn't show up at all in the add-ons or plugins list. So I suspect that the installer isn't putting them where Firefox is looking. OK, I should be able to work this out. Cheers!

Comment

Just in case anyone else is having the same problem: the answer, it seems, is that there are specific problems with 64bit distros and Veetle (I didn't mention I was using one, since it didn't occur to me that it might be relevant). You can solve the problem by using 32bit firefox, or maybe by trying some of the tricks listed in the Veetle forums -- I haven't attempted any of the nspluginwrapper stuff yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X