X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB devices run their drivers only "sometimes"

Hi all,
    after one of the upgrades (Jaunty->Karmic... or maybe Intrepid->Jaunty), the system events that should be triggered after plugging USB devices does not work properly. I mean that even the mouse does not work after plugging in, I have to unplug-replug many times before everything works.

I noticed the same behavior with USB webcams and USB drives. I found the kernel module that should be automatically loaded after the USB webcam is plugged in and if I load that module by hand, everything works. So maybe it's the kernel module that does not start as it should.

Any ideas?

Re: USB devices run their drivers only "sometimes"

Nope, but I can say that I noticed that behavior with both a webcam and a USB to RS232 adapter. I am on lucid now so I might check out if the problem (whichever it was) has been solved.
    Blow out the candles on all my frankensteins.

Comment

Running KLL here. I noticed yesterday, after which update I cannot say, that my usb sticks aren't behaving normally.

When plugging in a memory stick its activity light would turn on and stay on, not blink with activity. Unmounting the stick didn't turn the light off but did remove the amount of spaced used slider, indicating that I could pull it out.

After 131 updates just 15 minutes ago the USB sticks now blink and behave properly.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Just to add something, here is the dmesg when the device (a USB mouse, in this case) does not work:

[ 94.790239] usb 5-2: USB disconnect, address 2
        [ 96.070116] usb 5-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
        [ 96.250358] usb 5-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

and when it works:

[ 115.540255] usb 5-2: USB disconnect, address 3
        [ 117.390191] usb 5-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
        [ 117.569552] usb 5-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
        [ 117.673862] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
        [ 117.687690] input: Logitech Optical USB Mouse as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb5/5-2/5-2:1.0/input/input12
        [ 117.687773] generic-usb 0003:046D:C016.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Optical USB Mouse] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-2/input0
        [ 117.687791] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
        [ 117.687793] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver

lines beginning with usbcore are not in the first case... any further ideas? do you have some dmesg logs, so that forum gurus can understand what is happening?

Comment

bump!

Comment

Working...
          X