Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Taskbar" panel - lost application program buttons - how to recover???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Taskbar" panel - lost application program buttons - how to recover???

Sorry I don't have the right terms. I've given this significant time, and not found the solution.

My problem involves the long narrow panel at screen bottom - where the OS puts the system tray and other widgets. I was reviewing and changing widgets this morning and somehow changed something so that application programs no longer show up in that panel as little buttons. They have no presence at all. I can only access them, switch tasks, etc., via the Alt-Tab keyboard shortcut. I looked everywhere and cannot see how to get those buttons back.

I have all widgets present and accounted for, and no other problems are apparent to me.

Can anyone point me toward a solution? It's surely something simple that I'm being dense about.

Thanks!

Re: "Taskbar" panel - lost application program buttons - how to recover

Do you have the "Task Manager" widget (or alternatives) running ?

[img width=400 height=370]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8097/task.png[/img]

Task Manager
    * purpose - Shows the open applications.
    Click the panel cashew > Add widgets

Cashews > Plasma FAQ
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Well, nuts. That was it.

That seems a bit obscure. I'd have thought that those application button thingies were part of the basic OS...but then I try to say as ignorant as possible. I experience a lot of bliss that way....

Tks!

Comment

Is there a way to move the widgets left/right. For example, my system tray is at the far left. I expect to see it far right.

Ah... think I have it.

Answer: no way to move them, but they DO appear in the order installed. Not as flexible as I'd like, but good enough to work with!

Comment

Have you looked at panel settings? Right click on the open space in the taskbar ---> panel options ---> panel settings?

Comment

The System Tray (also a Widget) can it self be repositioned on the Panel (the 'big' bar that the System Tray and other widgets reside on), but the items within the System Tray are not positionable.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Is there a way to move the widgets left/right. For example, my system tray is at the far left. I expect to see it far right.

Ah... think I have it.

Answer: no way to move them, but they DO appear in the order installed. Not as flexible as I'd like, but good enough to work with!

> Plasma FAQ
              Can I move the applets on the panel?

To do so, open up the panel controller (by clicking on the cashew or by right clicking on the panel and selecting "Panel Settings") and hover the mouse cursor over the applets. Its shape will turn into four arrows, and you'll be able to rearrange the applets as you wish.

Lydia Pintscher's blog has a video showing movement in action. Another one is available on Aikurn's blog. Aikurn has also made an annotated video.

Task Manager icon sorting

[img width=400 height=329]http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8485/managersettings.png[/img]

Earlier Kubuntu forums > Topic: [solved] set panel icon spacing manually?

[img width=400 height=400]http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3645/spacer2.png[/img]
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks guys. Very nice response. Sorry to be slow to find it. Things get busy sometimes.

Comment

I seem to have the same issue as that OP.. However, I don't seem to be as observant as he.. as I still cannot seem to figure out how to get the running programs list back.

A few days ago, I right clicked in the area where the program list was, and mistakenly removed it. And I cannot for the life of me find the "widget" associated with this functionality.

I did find something called "Window List", which I figured was the one I wanted... but is is a single icon, that shows all open applications, and on what desktop they are running under. but it isn't the normal (to me) list of tabs along the bottom.

Anyone feel like spoon feeding the noob? (no.. it isn't like feeding a troll.. )

Thanks in advance!

Comment

The widget is called Task Manager.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

One point here - once you have got things set up as you want it's a good idea to right click on the desktop and select "lock widgets" which will help prevent accidental deletion.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        The widget is called Task Manager.
                        Thanks Snowhog.. I guess it can't get any more obvious than that.. lol.

I was a bit brain dead when I was trying to fix it.

Got it now.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X