This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok crashes after KDE4.4 update

I have Amarok 2.2.2 installed. After KDE4.4 update (including latest ppa7 packages) it can no longer start, crashes consistently with segmentation fault.

Update: renaming ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok folder helped to fix this but now I have lost all my album cover art.

Re: Amarok crashes after KDE4.4 update

I have the same problem. What a disappointing upgrade this has been.

Comment

I agrey it's ben a battle .......but the water's are calming now and things are looking good over on the bank.

+ Amarok has it's EQ back now

and seams to be geting a little better with CD's

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Tried Amarok with a music CD last night. Amarok still won't launch from the Device Notifier. Launched Amarok from the menu. The loaded CD was identified and listed. Copied to the playlist and it started playing. When I double-clicked on another track however, instant crash. This has already been reported, even before the upgrade to KDE 4.4.0. So, Amarok still has serious issues to be worked out.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Tried Amarok with a music CD last night. Amarok still won't launch from the Device Notifier. Launched Amarok from the menu. The loaded CD was identified and listed. Copied to the playlist and it started playing. When I double-clicked on another track however, instant crash. This has already been reported, even before the upgrade to KDE 4.4.0. So, Amarok still has serious issues to be worked out.
          Hummm I to was playing with Amarok last night and found thing's to be geting better

now I onley played 3 cd's and Amarok was allreadey open .......BUT as I put a cd in it saw and recognized it....I loded the play list and it playd all the way thrugh.

used the little ^ in amarok to eject the cd ......put in a nuther one and it saw and recognized it (befor it would display the preveus cd's file list) and played it as well I did this thrue 3 cd's and onley had 1 crash so that's why I sead a little better.

but better it was being for me

I'll be a little harder on it hear in a bit and repot back my luck or dismay

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

If Amarok now correctly reads/displays the contents of inserted music CDs, that is an improvement. I'll have to perform my own tests on that. If, with Amarok running, I can insert a music CD, have Amarok 'see' it and properly list the album and contents, then, when ejected, and another music CD is inserted, it 'sees' the new CD correctly - album and tracks - and does this consistently over and over again, I'll say that issue has been resolved.

For me then, that leaves two issues for the devs to resolve - reliable launching Amarok from the Device Notifier, and, no crashes when switching tracks.

Comment

Regarding CD support

You may be interested in this older thread that has some pretty telling remarks about the developers' view of supporting CDs: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f...lit=cd#p114028

Specifically:
              Originally posted by Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
              We developers don't find this an important feature
              Originally posted by Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
              it's just not worth messing with the CD media from the 80s
              Clearly user pressure has changed the priorities for inclusion of CD support since that was posted, but it does make you wonder how far it will go.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunate. CDs are todays Vinyl of yesterday it seems. Streaming audio and audio 'files' seem to be the emphasis. I really hope it doesn't go totally that direction. CDs are still very common. Heck, people still 'burn' their music collections to CD.

Tested Amarok's ability to recognize music CDs reliably - load, read, display, unload, reload new CD, etc. That seems to be a solid 'go' with version 2.2.2.

Comment

load a cd

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/Amarokcd2.png[/img]

it play's to this point and then crash.

eject it and load a new one.

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/Amarokcd3cd3.png[/img]

this time I'm double clicking around the play list...............it dose crash after a few times IE you can reliably crash it within 3-7 track switchings

anuther one and it's seeing them all corectley as far as Amarok recognising the cd switching.

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/Amarokcd3cd4EQ.png[/img]

had to include the EQ ............I was happy to see it.

it dose still nead some attention ....... well mabey more than some ................BUT still beter than it was doing .

as far as CD play goes eneyway ......it works just fine for eney other medea on the HD or USB

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Hi guys, I want to report I'm receiving constant crashes of latest Amarok in latest KDE SC at launch and sadly renaming amarok directory don't work.

I would also like to learn, if anyone knows, how can I make a useful bug report, I already installed kdebase debugging packages and amarok -dbg package but seems there's something else needed to do a good crash repor, thanks!

EDIT: also I would like to point I can't play any music file I previously did, only system sounds - I presume because they're .WAV

Comment

I solved my Amarok crashing problem by removing the three amarok config files in .kde/share/config/ and then starting Amarok.

Comment

No luck here, same thing (grrrrr)

[acidtoi@americandad 6] ~ > amarok -p
                        amarok(9479)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate:penDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-acidtoi/ksycoca4"
                        KCrash: Application 'amarok' crashing...
                        sock_file=/home/acidtoi/.kde/socket-americandad/kdeinit4__0
                        <unknown program name>(9478)/: Communication problem with "amarok" , it probably crashed.
                        Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The name org.kde.amarok was not provided by any .service files" "

Comment

Amarok won't even launch. I've deleted all of the config files, tried all the suggestions, here's what I get:

Application: Amarok (amarok), signal: Segmentation fault
                          [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0xb61cf720 (LWP 26744))]

Thread 2 (Thread 0xb0b64b70 (LWP 26748)):
                          #0 0x00baf422 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
                          #1 0x077fab86 in poll () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
                          #2 0x03391502 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0
                          #3 0x0337da59 in pa_mainloop_poll () from /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0
                          #4 0x0337fa13 in pa_mainloop_iterate () from /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0
                          #5 0x0337fae4 in pa_mainloop_run () from /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0
                          #6 0x033912a3 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0
                          #7 0x0351ee02 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpulsecommon-0.9.21.so
                          #8 0x00c2e96e in start_thread () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
                          #9 0x07808a4e in clone () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

Thread 1 (Thread 0xb61cf720 (LWP 26744)):
                          [KCrash Handler]
                          #6 0x046b6e5c in ?? () from /usr/lib/libasound.so.2
                          #7 0x04673e9e in snd_pcm_close () from /usr/lib/libasound.so.2
                          #8 0x03336662 in ?? () from /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstalsa.so
                          #9 0x055bc512 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgstaudio-0.10.so.0
                          #10 0x055ac6f0 in gst_ring_buffer_close_device () from /usr/lib/libgstaudio-0.10.so.0
                          #11 0x055b6e42 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgstaudio-0.10.so.0
                          #12 0x03281435 in gst_element_change_state (element=0xa30ec08, transition=GST_STATE_CHANGE_READY_TO_NULL) at gstelement.c:2548
                          #13 0x03284928 in gst_element_set_state_func (element=0xa30ec08, state=GST_STATE_NULL) at gstelement.c:2504
                          #14 0x032807f0 in gst_element_set_state (element=0xa30ec08, state=GST_STATE_NULL) at gstelement.c:2405
                          #15 0x05ad6ef4 in Phonon::Gstreamer::AudioOutput::setOutputDevice (this=0xa1d46a0, newDevice=1) at ../../gstreamer/audiooutput.cpp:147
                          #16 0x05ad8003 in Phonon::Gstreamer::AudioOutput::setOutputDevice (this=0xa1d46a0, newDevice=...) at ../../gstreamer/audiooutput.cpp:184
                          #17 0x09018621 in callSetOutputDevice (this=0xa196860) at ../3rdparty/phonon/phonon/audiooutput.cpp:67
                          #18 Phonon::AudioOutputPrivate::setupBackendObject (this=0xa196860) at ../3rdparty/phonon/phonon/audiooutput.cpp:281
                          #19 0x09018d22 in Phonon::AudioOutputPrivate::createBackendObject (this=0xa196860) at ../3rdparty/phonon/phonon/audiooutput.cpp:124
                          #20 0x09015284 in Phonon::AudioOutputPrivate::init (this=0xa196860, c=Phonon::MusicCategory) at ../3rdparty/phonon/phonon/audiooutput.cpp:106
                          #21 0x09015929 in AudioOutput (this=0xa1b86f8, category=Phonon::MusicCategory, parent=0xa17c140) at ../3rdparty/phonon/phonon/audiooutput.cpp:76
                          #22 0x0121688e in EngineController::initializePhonon (this=0xa17c140) at ../../src/EngineController.cpp:122
                          #23 0x01218ac2 in EngineController::qt_metacall (this=0xa17c140, _c=QMetaObject::InvokeMetaMethod, _id=21, _a=0xbfce876c) at ./EngineController.moc:147
                          #24 0x00634c9a in QMetaObject::metacall (object=0xa17c140, cl=125480544, idx=26, argv=0xbfce876c) at kernel/qmetaobject.cpp:237
                          #25 0x00638ac5 in QMetaMethod::invoke (this=0xbfce88fc, object=0xa17c140, connectionType=Qt:irectConnection, returnValue=..., val0=..., val1=..., val2=..., val3=..., val4=..., val5=..., val6=...,
                          val7=..., val8=..., val9=...) at kernel/qmetaobject.cpp:1533
                          #26 0x006390cf in QMetaObject::invokeMethod (obj=0xa17c140, member=0x14370c4 "initializePhonon", type=Qt:irectConnection, ret=..., val0=..., val1=..., val2=..., val3=..., val4=..., val5=...,
                          val6=..., val7=..., val8=..., val9=...) at kernel/qmetaobject.cpp:1113
                          #27 0x01319adb in QMetaObject::invokeMethod (this=0xa1b51f8) at /usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qobjectdefs.h:398
                          #28 Amarok:efaultApplicationController::initEngineController (this=0xa1b51f8) at ../../src/statemanagement/DefaultApplicationController.cpp:90
                          #29 0x01319b12 in Amarok:efaultApplicationController::start (this=0xa1b51f8) at ../../src/statemanagement/DefaultApplicationController.cpp:47
                          #30 0x011f9ad0 in App::continueInit (this=0xbfce8ea8) at ../../src/App.cpp:670
                          #31 0x011fe4e9 in App (this=0xbfce8ea8) at ../../src/App.cpp:212
                          #32 0x0804fffc in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfce9724) at ../../src/main.cpp:235

I think this is the same thing everyone else is getting.

Comment

Working...
                          X