This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz problems!

All of the sudden when i turn the computer on, after the login, i get first a white screen...and then everything goes to almost totally black...i can only see the cursor...and i can see various windows only at the moment of their creation...After that they become totally dim again.
    I know it is compiz, cause when i changed the mod of /usr/bin/comp so that it cannot be executed, everything started working again.
    I deleted compiz with "sudo aptitude" totaly...and redownloaded it, and installed it...but again, the same thing happens...
    What to do? I really whant compiz on my comp

Thanks in advance?

Re: Compiz problems!

you can start by telling us what you are running...os, version, hardware, etc

Comment

Heh, yes, you are right...
      I am running Kubuntu 9.10 x32, i got nvidia 9500gt graphic card...I dual boot with XP but it is on the separate hard drive, My processor is abd 5200 x64...Everything were working perfect...untill one moment when compiz started behaving funny on me.

Comment

have you tried installing the new nvidia drivers? you can follow my notes here.

use this as a basis. I'm not sure if i'm missing anything.

#sudo apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-common

#sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
        #sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
        #sudo apt-get install linux-source

reboot pc and go into recovery and use root mode. then cd into the location of the nvidia binary installer. execute with ./filename.run let it configure x and reboot. Now you are done.

these steps are if you dont want to boot up but i didnt use it.
        #sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
        #sudo modprobe -r nvidia
        #sudo depmod -a
        #sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start

after this, we will see about compiz.

Comment

I forgot to mention to auto start nvidia system wide in karmic koala 9.10 kubuntu, you need to edit your Xsession

#sudo kate /etc/X11/Xsession
          Code:
          #!/bin/sh
          #
          # /etc/X11/Xsession
          #
          # global Xsession file -- used by display managers and xinit (startx)

# $Id: Xsession 967 2005-12-27 07:20:55Z dnusinow $
          nvidia-settings -l
          set -e
          and of course the rest of the commands that follow but im not posting that. put nvidia-settings -l in there like i showed. If nvidia-settings is not installed, it doesnt affect anything and will boot normally. if you did a custom install, make sure the run file from nvidia installer is used instead of the ubuntu repositories.

Comment

Working...
          X